Linguaholic

Have you ever dreamt in your 3rd language?

Hi everyone! I don't think that's a usual thing but I think it's possible since I have to native languages. I've never reached that level of dreaming lol, but I believe that it could be done. I also know people who have dreamt in their 2n language having only one native language.

So, what do you think about it? Is it possible?

Yes it is possible, it has actually happened to me. A couple of years ago, a few German friends that I met online decided to visit my country for the holidays. I was anxious about meeting them, I know that my German isn't that good and I was worried that I was going to make a fool of myself. This anxiety was probably the reason for 2 or 3 German-speaking dreams that I experienced at that time. Well, I had a great time with my German friends and they even helped me with my German, so everything went better than expected  :laugh:

Yes it is possible, it has actually happened to me. A couple of years ago, a few German friends that I met online decided to visit my country for the holidays. I was anxious about meeting them, I know that my German isn't that good and I was worried that I was going to make a fool of myself. This anxiety was probably the reason for 2 or 3 German-speaking dreams that I experienced at that time. Well, I had a great time with my German friends and they even helped me with my German, so everything went better than expected  :laugh:

So, appart from the English and German, what other language do you know?

I've been told that dreaming in your second language is good for your brain, I can't imagine the effects of dreaming in your third language lol.

It's good to see someone that have arrived up to this level.

Thanks for answering :)

Wow I never thought of this. I couldn't imagine dreaming in my 3rd language! But that's partly because technically, I still don't have a third language. I remember one time I was speaking some sort of alien language, but of course that doesn't count!

Yes, not so common because not all of us have a third language, but it may happen.

I like German and I know some random words an phrases in this language, so more than once I have dreamed on being somewhere in... Austria? Germany?

Don't know, but based on the architecture I can see in my dreams looks like it could be a city in one out of these countries. I can listen to myself trying to talk in German and thinking how it was that some word or phrase had to be pronounce  :shy:

Well it's definitely possible! I think if you're used to speaking multiple languages fluently and frequently; to the point where they're frequently a part of your thought process, there's no reason to suspect you couldn't dream or daydream in it. I've had bits and pieces of other languages in my dreams, but not entire dreams.

I learned French when I was a kid but not enough to enable me converse with anybody in French.

However, I, at one time, distinctly remember dreaming that I was residing in a French-speaking part of Canada. We were at war with some enemy [i can't recall whom it was exactly] but the strange thing is that I could speak French fluently and I could understand everything that was said [in French].

p.s Maybe Reincarnation is not just a belief from the East. . .

I know three languages, but I don't really remember dreaming in my third language. However, I am pretty sure that I have dreamt in my first and second languages. I think this is a really interesting question, and I will be sure to take notice in what language I will be dreaming in tonight!  :laugh:

• 1 month later...

All the time! I dream I'm speaking Hungarian. This is probably because for eleven years I lived in a small town in Hungary and HAD to speak Hungarian to the people around me every day. Non-Hungarians who have lived in Budapest probably cannot identify with this experience because in that major city, it's not hard to find someone who speaks English. Not so in the wilds of Hajdu-Bihar County! So, even though it's been seven years since I returned to the States, when I dream, I still find myself in the situation of having to explain something in Hungarian to someone who does not speak English -- or any other foreign language for that matter!