Linguaholic

Can You Passively Learn a Language?

Denis Hard

The most recent theory [i've come across] about learning languages asserts that since babies learn a language by hearing it spoken often, anyone can through the same means learn a new language. The writer recommended listening to foreign music, watching foreign movies or just tuning in to a foreign radio station and leaving it on all day so that as you heard the words, with time they'd become more familiar and finally you'd just know what they meant.

I tried watching a number of French films but after some time realized that this didn't work. Or maybe I did it wrong?

So let me pose this open question: can you learn a language through passive listening?

Yes, I do think you could learn this, but it takes some interactivity. If you just listen to it constantly, then you might never get the context clues, but if you use them even sparingly to communicate, then you will learn it, but even with just your subconscious, I believe it's possible to pick up even just a few words, especially the simplest ones.

Yes but it won't be very effective and you won't really learn it unless you use some of the words yourself. So you can see the other ones reaction without really knowing to learn it a little better, altough this would be very akward to do.

This is how I learned German as a young child. My parents moved to Germany when I was a kid. I learned the language just by being immersed in it. Unfortunately, I only remember a few words of German because when my family moved backed to the US, I was no longer exposed to the language.

I think passive learning can be a base for learning a language but I think as pointed out above you must be more proactive.  Learning a few words is different than being proficient which I believe would include interaction and practice.  I have been around many languages and I know a few "need to know" phrases but I am not fully attentive if I am not "engaged".

Do you watch the same movies over and over?  I think that would be a good idea.  It'd allow you to get familiar with the context, and eventually learn the meaning of the words used.

It'd be like being a baby again.  Repetitive language is frequently used in certain scenarios with babies, and there are often cues as well.  It isn't long before babies learn the meaning of food, nap, good, bad, mom, dad and other words.  Those words wouldn't mean anything to a baby if it wasn't for the repetition and context.