Linguaholic

What Free Programs/software Are Out There To Assist Language Learning.

Francisco23

I know that babble is an amazing software to use to learn languages such as Spanish, French, etc. I actually downloaded babble to my tablet and it's been real engaging, interactive, and fun. But i'm interested to know of any other free language learning software out there.

• 1 month later...

I cannot believe that no one replied to you! I always suggest using Memrise.com. It isn't software but it is free to use and there is more than just different languages to learn there. Once you register an account and start a course, it will look and feel like software. There are even apps so you can study on the go. YES the apps sync up with the online profile you use. There is also a paid service but that is optional and will not hinder your learning experience. Take a look and let me know what you think!

I mean the most positively heard about program I can think of that helps you learn a new language would probably be Rosetta Stone. Rosetta Stone has just about everything you need to help you learn a new language to your best ability.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I know that babble is an amazing software to use to learn languages such as Spanish, French, etc. I actually downloaded babble to my tablet and it's been real engaging, interactive, and fun. But i'm interested to know of any other free language learning software out there.

You mean Babelfish? I'm checking it out right now, but since there's no Tagalog language on the options, I can't verify if they do a good job of translating English words to Tagalog.

I love all the softwares that were created by Marian Wartoft: http://www.wartoft.se/software/about-me.aspx  She has created some really awesome freeware software to aid people to practice several languages for free. 

They all look a bit old-fashioned and not very modern, but they're still a good tool to practice languages like: spanish, english, french, german, swedish, etc.  They are more like educative games, some look like a tetris game (but with words) and others allow you to practice your vocabulary by playing a hangman style game. 

I really recommend her software, it might not be the most stylized software, but it complies with the purpose of aiding the student to practice a language in a fun way.

I have been using duolingo. They offer Spanish, French, Portuguese, Italian, and German. They have a really nice initial setup; if you already somewhat know the language, you can take a short test so you won't have to sit through those lessons. Duolingo also incorporates speaking and listening into their lessons as well, which really helps with becoming familiar with the language.