Linguaholic

Your Favorite Charles Dickens Novel

LauraM

If you have read and enjoyed the works of Charles Dickens, please share your favorite novel or novels.

I've read several of Dickens novels, and of them, my all-time favorite is "A Tale of Two Cities."  I have always found it to be it quite absorbing, and I find that time period in history fascinating as well. 

My favorite Dickens novel would have to be Great Expectations. We read it in my year eleven English class and I loved it. I'm not overly familiar with the rest of his work - I've never read A Tale of Two Cities but I should check it out. I haven't read a good book in a while.

My favorite Charles Dickens novel is Great Expectations. I didn't get a chance to read A Tale of Two Cities while I was in school or university. As soon as I have the free time, I would try to read it online. That is quite difficult for me to do nowadays because I'm quite busy doing several things online.

It's not really a novel as such and is more of a novella but nothing touches A Chrsitmas Carol in my opinion. It's probably nostalgia because I was very young when I read it or may be the few high quality adaptations of it I've seen in different media but nothing touches it in my opinion.

• 5 weeks later...

My favorite novel by Dickens will be Oliver Twist. It has a lot of memories attached to it since I read it way back in school. It makes me nostalgic even to think. :) That apart I really liked Great Expectations, Little Dorrit, Bleak House. I'd have liked David Copperfield had it been a little less in volume, hehe. I like Dickens' works but at times his prolific descriptions that run for pages and pages, can get tiresome.

• 2 weeks later...

A Christmas Carol, if that counts, is one of my all-time childhood favorites, I believe it perfectly captures Dickens' mastery of the language on the backdrop of the magical Christmas atmosphere, as well as the deeper philosophical symbolism has caught me all those years back as a kid, and has since never let me go.

Appropriate for December too.

• 2 weeks later...

My 2nd read-through of A Tale of Two Cities was much more enjoyable the 2nd time around. First time I read it was as a 15 year-old sophomore in high-school. Which, needless to say, I did not understand nor enjoy it then.

However, I decided to read it again a few months back and really could appreciate it for a great work of literature. Might end up doing the same for other books I neglected back in high school to see if it "clicks" the 2nd time around

I've only read David Copperfield and A Christmas Carol, but I've seen adaptations of Oliver Twist and Great Expectations, as well. As far as story goes, the last is my favourite. I know of A Tale of Two Cities by name, but am not sure what it's about. Guess that will be the next one I'll pick up.

I just started Oliver Twist a couple of days ago, and it's pretty good so far and much fresher in my mind than anything of his I read (as a teen, far too long ago to remember properly) so that gets my vote for now!

That's a really difficult question! Dickens was a genius who has created so much pleasure for people of many generations.

If I had to choose it would be David Copperfield (it's an autobiography basically). It was a set book for us at school and I just couldn't put it down, something that never happened with any other book they gave us as compulsory homework. It was the BBC's special programme the night of the Millenium back in 1999/2000. Brilliant!

Great Expectations is good but the plot's a bit complicated. Miss Haversham is spooky!!

Though all Dickens' novels are classics, I loved "David Copperfield" more than others.

I think its a great novel and is also autobiographical in nature.

It was a huge success and is still continues to revered in the world of literature.

• 2 weeks later...

I have only read two of Charles Dickens work, Oliver Twist and Great Expectations. My favourits though is Great Expectations which I read a long time ago in 9th grade :cool:.