Linguaholic

So, what's your secret to...

wannalurnspanish

finding the time to work on learning and studying the language of your choice?

Ideally, for me, I'd love to be able to devote at least one or two hours a day to learning Spanish, but it never quite works out that way. It seems I always have about a million and one things to do, and finding time to study seems to usually be something that doesn't happen. It's one of those things that always seems to get pushed aside because other things take priority.

How do you manage to fit it in? Do you devote a specific time everyday to studying? Do you just fit it in during the day when it works best for you? What's the key to making it happen? Maybe you guys can give me some good ideas.

The best way to fit language study into a busy schedule is probably to get Anki or Memrise or any of the other flashcard apps for your smartphone (or even just physical flashcards, if you're so inclined) and use them to study whenever you have five minutes while waiting for the bus, at the dentist, etc.

It doesn't sound like much, but if you make it a habit to use your downtime for something useful, you will be surprised how much time it adds up to.

And this is not just for vocabulary, you can create cards to practice grammar like declensions or conjugations, too.

The best way to fit language study into a busy schedule is probably to get Anki or Memrise or any of the other flashcard apps for your smartphone (or even just physical flashcards, if you're so inclined) and use them to study whenever you have five minutes while waiting for the bus, at the dentist, etc.

It doesn't sound like much, but if you make it a habit to use your downtime for something useful, you will be surprised how much time it adds up to.

And this is not just for vocabulary, you can create cards to practice grammar like declensions or conjugations, too.

Oh! Well that does create a bit of a problem there. I know I'm the odd ball of this world, but I HATE cell phones. I don't now, nor ever plan to, own one, so I guess that idea is out! I guess I could get into the habit of carrying around flashcards or a book or something, although that can be a bit of an inconvenience at times.

I try to carry my study with me, not exactly into the table to learn while on the go, but memorizing words throughout the day, and doing a lot of brainstorming to accommodate segments of language study as day goes by.

Since I have a thousand of things to do and not a regular schedule, I have not a preferred time of the day or night to study, but I usually devote as much as possible every day without missing any.

Well what i do is allot specific time to learn. The truth is that things will always come up and if you don't manage your time, it may never seem enough. We all have 24hours a day, the difference between us is time management.

That's the only way. Time management.  It's a matter of scheduling the time and holding yourself  accountable to it as you would any other important obligation or appointment.  It's very much like physical exercise; you must schedule in the time and likewise, adhere to the discipline.  I do this for all of my pressing tasks that I intend to take care of in the course of a day.  Otherwise the time to get something in specific done simply does not materialize.

Yes, this definitely works! :)

• 6 months later...

There has been times when I could have given up studying but I dare not when I have someone to motivate me.  My daughter also studies Spanish and she has been my source of inspiration. whenever I complain about not having the time or desire to study she knows just what to do to get me up and going again.

Practicing the language daily and applying it in real life has helped me understand foreign and local languages. The use of words being heard constantly and in turn trying to reciprocate through conversing in the same language has helped me a lot. It is very good to practice a lot of languages as you are better equipped in understanding people who come from different regions and places in the world or even in your own country. You will also find out how to mingle with them by knowing their language and how they speak it as well as their practices.