Linguaholic

Favourite English Movie

Study With Us on Discord for FREE!

I have a long list of "English" movies,however my favourite has to be 50 First Dates. In my opinion there is nothing bad about this film.The story line is unique, the soundtrack amazing,the cast are awesome. This movie has me laughing ,crying and I never stop smiling from start to finish.50 First Dates is definitely a feel good film.

• 2 weeks later...

I guess my favorite English movie is the "Titanic" for I have watched it more than 5 times already both on the big screen and on TV.  :smile: Besides the fact that it was based on a true story, the immortal love story of Jack and Rose really captivates the moviegoers. And even though you watch it several times in a row, you will not get sick and tired of it again and again though you have memorized the lines in the film already.

• 8 months later...

I love the sound of music as well; brought great memories. I will have to choose Forest Gump as my favorite movie because it made me laugh and cry at the same time. I enjoyed watching it immensely. This is one movie that I can watch over and over again. I wish I had a copy right now.

• 3 weeks later...

Forest Gump is one of those movies that I can vividly call an excellent movie right after watching it. But since I've watched it a very long time ago, I can no longer recall why this movie still comes to mind when asked about favorite movies.

My penultimate favorite, however, will always be Robin William's The Dead Poet's Society. This movie popularized the term "carpe diem."

• 4 weeks later...

Do you mean films that are in English or films made in England? If the former then probably "Mr Nobody". It's an amazing film that really blew my mind. If the latter then I'm not too sure since I haven't seen that many, but English TV series are amazing though (Skins, misfits, Black mirror, etc)

• 1 month later...

Do you mean films that are in English or films made in England? If the former then probably "Mr Nobody". It's an amazing film that really blew my mind. If the latter then I'm not too sure since I haven't seen that many, but English TV series are amazing though (Skins, misfits, Black mirror, etc)

I only saw two episodes of Black Mirror. They were wickedly good. My first impression was like 'wow! this show is different'. I say it's wickedly good because I actually was confused when I first saw it. I can't exactly pinpoint what it was about the show that made me like it. I thought it was weird, too but at the back of my mind I'm convinced that they were good shows. Regrettably, I was unable to find follow-up episodes of the show.

• 2 months later...

This may sound childish, but one of my favorites (I don't have one definite favorite) is Tangled. Yes, a Disney movie. I just love the main character's outgoing and excited character, and I really enjoyed watching it.

Hi bro,

I don't think that you should post a thread like that in such section, it should be in off topic.

Any ways I like a lot of English movies but the best one I've watched so far in this year 2015 is Focus (Will smith), I really adore it !

• 2 weeks later...

I wish there were many movies in dutch, as many as there are in English so I could practice the language.  I'm struggling so much to find material in dutch, but English students have it so easy English, because they can find material to practice English anywhere, most movies are in English :(  I guess I'll have to give dutch podcasts a try.

Today we will watch the last mission impossible movie :)  I go to great extents to watch the dubbed version of most movies I watch all the time.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hi guys !  I just noticed i forgot to mention my favorite movie in the last post!  I'm not sure if I have mentioned it earlier or not, but I am a big fan of the Harry Potter franchise.  Actually I am super happy today, because there is going to be a marathon of at least 4 Harry potter movies on TV today.  I could watch those online, but I love it when they air them on TV :) Makes my day, last week they aired them whole week, every single evening, so yes, it was so hard to concentrate!

What's your favourite English movie? Why?

I movie I really enjoy watching is 'The Sound of Music' because of the music in it, the memories of watching them when I was younger, and just generally because it is a good movie. Big plus: Julie Andrews!

I love that movie as well. I remember watching it during our sixth grade film showing in school. Well, I do have a lot of favorite movies, but I think I would have to go with Titanic.

I think my favorite would be The Avengers series, as well as it's character's individual movies (i.e: Captain America in Captain America: The Winter Soldier). I also liked The Social Network. Mostly because Andrew Garfield, but the movie itself is fairly captivating. You don't get to 500 million friends without making a few enemies, talk about words to live by.

But I'm generally more of a comedy kind of guy, even though I also really like zombie movies.

I have a lot of English movies in mind and I love them all but my number one and best English movie all time is a tie between 300, the newest version of karate kid and Drum Line. I choose the three because of the great storylines and plots and the messages of the movie. After all this is the main reason for watching movies and that is to learn and enjoy as well.

• 3 weeks later...

Nanny McPhee, Maleficient, How to Train Your Dragon, Cloud Atlas -  just to name a few. Unfortunately, there are too much YA movies these days. I tried watching Hunger Games and I just didn't get it.

Anyway, I look forward to watch Hotel Transylvania 2. Adam Sandler has quite a lot of movie flops lately, but I really love this one (it's animated, what can I say? :D)

LITNAX is back! That's great. Hope you enjoy the new forum software!!!

Best wishes

Lingua

Aaah thanks ^_^... I had some 'Walter Mitty' moments this year, but everything is sorted out now. I like the new look of the forum.

Back to movies, I just watched 'True Grit' on cable. I'm not usually a Western fan, but it was pretty good and the actress, Hailee Steinfield, truly delivered her character.

Since there are too many of them, let me just share a few that have made a great impression on me:

1. Road to Perdition - One underrated Tom Hanks movie. It has the same feel as the Green Mile (another one of my all-time favorites) but didn't gain as much fanfare. What I love about this movie is that it gave me the realization that just because you're a criminal, that doesn't mean you don't know how to love. The human heart is so double-edged and ambivalent.
  2. Green Mile - I'm not a huge fan of Tom Hanks but I respect and admire him so much as an actor. He was sensational in Green Mile. The story itself is capable of shredding your heart into pieces. If you read the book, you'd know why.
  3. Grand Budapest Hotel - This arthouse film basically has everything I'm looking for: witty dialogues, intelligent multilayered plot, interesting characters, creative backdrop and great pacing. The directors, producers and actors have all outdone themselves.
  4. Ever After - Who doesn't want a good fairytale romance every now and then? I was in high school when I first saw this movie. Fast forward to more than a decade later, I'm still in love with it. Yeah, the love story may seem old school but my ideals have remained intact despite the changing times. 21st century thinking could do nothing to stop me from being a fatuous fool for old school romance.

• 4 weeks later...

Notting Hill. Hugh Grant is usually rather good at playing bumbling Englishmen who are adorable but don't seem to know it. Julia Roberts was believable as the poor little rich superstar (which probably wasn't a big stretch for her). But it was the supporting characters that made the movie. The wit, the repartee, the camaraderie ... they were perfect. :)

My all time favorite English movie would have to be Edward Scissorhands because it makes me feel like all outsiders should be treated with love and kindness. It makes me remember that even though I may feel weird at times, I am unique and I can find love and be amazing. The movie teaches about finding beauty in unexpected places.

• 4 months later...