Linguaholic

Favourite English Movie

What's your favourite English movie? Why?

I movie I really enjoy watching is 'The Sound of Music' because of the music in it, the memories of watching them when I was younger, and just generally because it is a good movie. Big plus: Julie Andrews!

Study With Us on Discord for FREE!

Shouldn't this be in off-topic subforum?

Anyways my favorite movie is The Good, the Bad and the Ugly.

The movie has quite possibly the best climax of all time and every actor played their part with perfection. Eli Wallach in particular as Tuco was as good a portrayal as we're ever likely to see.

Morricone's score wasn't too shabby either.

My favorite movie of any language is Forrest Gump. As far as the English language goes, it's a great peek into American culture and its vast differences from state to state. Forrest speaks with a heavy southern drawl, and looks/sounds like a fish out of water when he's in Washington, D.C.

I like Zoolander. I usually prefer to watch comedies because I like to laugh and forget about my problems when I watch movies. This movie was very dialogue heavy, as is what most of the other comedy movies in this generation were, but this one in particular had a very quirky way of putting sentences together and the way Zoolander speaks them was just so funny in my opinion.

My favourite English movie is The Little Mermaid. It's a cartoon english movie, but nevertheless, I loved it. I love how they drew Ariel with her red hair and the green tail; the colours stand out so much. I also like the person who voiced her; the singing is amazing.

Does the Harry Potter series count? I was actually raised with this series, as I am just the audience they were just targeting (I am about the same age as the main actors). They were some of my favorite movies and I will always be a fan!

I thought by English we meant British - but anyways, my favorite English-language movie is Forrest Gump. But if we're talking about "English" English, I love "An Education" and "The Royal Tenenbaums".

• 1 month later...

I quite like Jeeves and Wooster. I'm quite sure that everyone will agree with me that the duo Stephen Fry and Hugh Laurie is awesome.

I'd really love to see a new movie with their present selfs. Don't you think that it will be quite interested since Hugh Laurie has changed quite a bit. I'm sure most people see him only as Dr. House at the moment :)

My favorite English movie is "Beauty and the Beast", which I like fairy-tale stories. Although it is a cartoon movie, but it is classic, mysterious, and entertaining. I have seen a different kind of plays a few times, and almost all of them are good enough that I would like to see more of it. I just like the story between Bella and the Beast. 

Way too many favorites, but if I have to think of one that I remember a lot, A Requiem for a Dream. Very dramatic, extremely well made in every sense. Even the use of the camera shows the emotions in the movie. Recommending to everyone who can stomach really dramatic psychological drama.

I love Shawshank Redemption. The actors did so well to express the emotions in the movie that I was in tears at the critical parts. It really highlights some great issues with the prison system and corruption and pulls it all together in an amazing story. Oh, and Morgan Freeman narrates some parts of the movie.

I thought by English we meant British - but anyways, my favorite English-language movie is Forrest Gump. But if we're talking about "English" English, I love "An Education" and "The Royal Tenenbaums".

I thought so too.  :grin: 

Anyway, I have lots of favorites and most of them have "medieval" themes like Braveheart, Dragonheart, Ever After, and those movies about King Arthur and Robin Hood. I just love stories about castles, knights, kings/royalties, etc.  I've always wondered what it's really like to live during those times when computers and hi-tech gadgets are not yet existing.  :smile:

Brit movie or just any movie in which the actors use English as the primary language? I'm an animation films buff so most certainly I'd go with one. The best of them all IMO: Monsters vs Aliens or at least that's my favorite movie. Today.

Everything changes.

I am very happy to know that your favourite is "sound of music".

Because mine too.

I believe its an all time best masterpiece.  As you rightly said,  the melliflous music, great lyrics, wonderful story and of course magnfiicent performances by all the actors makes this a treat to watch even after so many decades.

Its still so fresh...so life-like and so real....superb movie and thanks for asking this question :)

• 3 months later...

I am taking English movie to mean British. My favorite would definitely be The Italian Job. It is a movie in which a team of thieves who were double crossed by their associates in turn planned and robbed them of their gold. It is very dramatic and action packed.

I can't really think of a specific English movie that I really like. I generally like films that bring out the famous English black humour. :) I like several English comedy sitcoms. My favourite is "Black books", starring Dylan Moran and Bill Bailey, who crack me up every time. :)

I also love "The Mighty Boosh", a fantastically bizarre show that I have on DVD. And last but not least, there is "Spaced", another hilarious English series.