Linguaholic

Accent Pet Peeves

Baburra

Is there anything about an accent you dislike when you hear people speaking? I personally think Canada and its people are pretty cool, and I don't mind their accent as a whole, but I strongly dislike hearing them say the word "about". I also heard somewhere that people in France generally dislike hearing the Quebec accent speaking the French language. I wonder why we are naturally drawn to dislike particular accents or parts of them, but on the flipside, I generally find it amusing when I hear other languages being spoken with an American accent. Do you have any pet peeves when it comes to accents?

Is there anything about an accent you dislike when you hear people speaking? I personally think Canada and its people are pretty cool, and I don't mind their accent as a whole, but I strongly dislike hearing them say the word "about". I also heard somewhere that people in France generally dislike hearing the Quebec accent speaking the French language. I wonder why we are naturally drawn to dislike particular accents or parts of them, but on the flipside, I generally find it amusing when I hear other languages being spoken with an American accent. Do you have any pet peeves when it comes to accents?

I do love the British accent. It makes you sound smart no matter what you say! I don't fancy much the Scottish accent thought because boy do I find it hard to decipher them.

Americans say "roof" with the "ə" sound (called the schwa) rather than the long O sound. It sounds like they're a barking dog when they say it. It's so strange, it just tickles my strange nerve when I hear it.

I also prefer the long "o" sound for "roof." 

The pronunciation of "roof" varies in the U.S.  Some people do pronounce it with the long "o" sound.  That's how I've always pronounced it.  I'm not sure if it varies by region or if it's just individualistic.

Same is true for "root" -- some use the long "o" sound and some don't. 

Americans say "roof" with the "ə" sound (called the schwa) rather than the long O sound. It sounds like they're a barking dog when they say it. It's so strange, it just tickles my strange nerve when I hear it.

Hahaha, that's the way I pronounce it :P  I wish I could stop doing that, I really don't like the american english that much, I really wish I had learnt the british one instead, but I guess it's really late for that, huh!  But I agree with you, it really sounds like I'm barking whenever I say that word, and I know it, lol.

I really don't have a problem with accents. There are some regional American accents that make me smile especially the Boston accent.

I really like the way the Canadians pronounce some words like about. I love it when a Canadian actor who is playing an American character slips. I find it amusing. 

I actually enjoy accents in speaking the English language (like tomato, potato, etc.) and I love hearing the Canadiens say "about" in there own wonderful way.  Some of the "pronunciations" rather than calling it an accent amongst Americans can make me batty though.  When I moved to Southern California I met "natives" who pronounce "wash the dishes as WARSH the dishes".  There is no R in wash and that makes me nuts.  INsurance is another that I could say is an accent versus a pronunciation, but that is just one example.

I'm from Canada. Just a small insight when it comes to Canadians:

Canada is a multicultural country and we don't necessarily have a general accent, the accents are determined based on the province/territory you come from as well as the family you were raised in. I don't think I have any pet peeves when it comes to accents.