Linguaholic

There are sooo many great language learning tools out there!

Adrian_C

But even if you dedicate yourself daily, it's still not easy and most people fail, or they peak and then start to forget/lose what they've learned. Why does this happen??

I'll tell you why. Because you're not immersed in the language that you are learning. If I was learning Italian, and I moved to Italy, then with tools like Duolingo, Babbel, and others that are designed for those harder languages, I can learn Italian fluently. But if I try to learn Italian from America, sure I can memorize many words, but that doesn't mean that I will retain much since I'm not surrounded by the language.

Get ready, I'm going to pitch something, but know that it's something that I truly created for myself at first to solve the exact issue from above. Except my issue was to not forget my native language of Romanian since I moved to America at a very young age, and in my adult life I speak Romanian to very few people and very rarely. So naturally, I started slipping. Every couple of years I would go back to visit Romania for about a month, and in that month of being immersed in the language, it came back sooo much more than if I were to just practice at home on my own.

Light bulb!! What if I could stay immersed in the Romanian language even in America, every day. That would be cool. Well, what do I already do every day.....I have conversations through text messages every day!! These convos are in English, but what if I could see those convos in Romanian too. Ahhhaaaaa!

So I developed a simple text messaging app, that my wife and I, and a couple of family/friends used. It does what I described above, it shows me my convos in another language as well. I ended up placing it on the App Store, Apple even featured it in the "New Apps We Love" section.

Check it out if interests you, and I would love your feedback.

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/chatall/id1043435029 - (currently for iOS only - but there are plans for Android as well)

See screenshot. I'm having a conversation in English on the left side, and on the right side my conversation is being translated in Spanish.

Thanks,
Adrian

P.S. I'm not competing with the existing tools that take tackle language learning with more depth. Those are amazing tools that you should continue to use. But adding something like this to the mix to keep you immersed will make a BIG difference.
P.S.S. If you are on iOS 13 already, there is a small bug with the formatting. The blue header at the top is missing (it's actually transparent). An update with a fix is coming in the next couple of days :) Apple always breaks something with their new releases.
P.S.S.S. The app does not just use the regular Google Translator for the translations. I use Neural Machine Translations which is a software also being developed by Google, but it utilizes AI/machine learning to translate entire sentences, rather then word by word. This works much better for conversational/full sentence translations, and it's AI and machine learning driven so it constantly improves itself. Here's some more info on it --> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neural_machine_translation

Screenshot 1 iPhone 6.5.png