Linguaholic

Anybody Bilingual?

mareebaybay

I like to think I'm blingual :P but I'm  now very happy with my english... I think there are so many areas that are open for improvement.  I really need to start working on polishing my english a bit more, but I'm happy with my level (I could expand my vocabulary even more tho!). 

All I can tell you is that being bilingual has opened a lot doors for me :)  I landed a really good job last year thanks to that.  I'm so glad I can speak a second language!

I'm fluent in both Portuguese (native language) and in English, I can also speak Spanish at about a 75% level I'd say.

Knowing English is pretty crucial in today's world if you want to connect with other cultures, most have at least a little grasp on English.

I'm a bilingual, whom I speak both Chinese and English. Chinese is my native language, and I learned English when I was little. I think Chinese is the hardest language to learn comparing to English. However, many people think English is a difficult language to learn.

I am a bilingual and have been speaking Spanish since I was a child. I started speaking it immediately after learning it from some beta version of Rosetta Stone (that I think no longer exists) and a few other programs. I started speaking it as soon as I knew a few phrases because when I was a kid I wasn't afraid to make mistakes.

I communicated for a long time with my mother who knows some Spanish and I found some penpals and quickly made friends in the language and learned a LOT from them. Now I'm trying to become officially fluent and brushing up on Duolingo on duolingo.com. It's harder this time because I'm focusing on the grammar. Focus on being able to read and write in it and picking up the spoken language will be easier.

Start by watching your favorite movies in Spanish (on your DVD player if you have one) with English subtitles. Once you get familiar to hearing it (watch the movies every day) it will be easier to speaking in daily life.

I think most people who participate in forums like these that aren't from English speaking countries will turn out to be bilingual because English is necessary for majority of the communication that happens here. That said, I am one of those people and yes I'm bilingual, and I'm hoping to be multilingual very soon.

I'm completely fluent in both French and English, so yes I'm definitely bilingual.

French is my native language, so obviously I speak it fluently.

As for English, I learned the language on my own.

It all started roughly fifteen years ago; I was playing an online game at the time where communication with other players was mostly done in English and unfortunately I didn't speak it at all yet.

I learned a little bit at a time as I was interacting with other players on a daily basis. It turns out that it was a very effective way to learn. believe it or not, but within a mere year I became pretty much fluent in English (albeit since then my vocabulary expanded greatly, but I was able to have conversations about anything and everything already).

I improved my English further over the years since, through reading books, writing articles and simply communicating with other people on internet mostly. but playing an online game is how it all started for me.

• 3 weeks later...

I think most people who participate in forums like these that aren't from English speaking countries will turn out to be bilingual because English is necessary for majority of the communication that happens here. That said, I am one of those people and yes I'm bilingual, and I'm hoping to be multilingual very soon.

Oh, what is the other you speak besides English? I would have to agree with you on this because I live in a country where it considers a multicultural country, which people would speak more than one languages.

• 2 months later...

I truly wish that I was bilingual, but I'm not. I speak English and I can speak a little bit of Spanish, but it wouldn't be enough to get me through in a Spanish speaking country.

However, my seven year old son has been enrolled in a Spanish Immersion program and I certainly hope that will aid him in becoming bilingual as he gets a little bit older.

I would consider myself bilingual. My native language is Filipino but I'm also fluent in English. I used to be fluent in French but not anymore. I should really practice my French but to be honest, I just check out the French forum to lurk as I'm really not confident to practice it again. Hopefully just by reading the posts there I'll gather enough courage to post there myself.