Linguaholic

What do you think of this Guild Wars 2 feature?

MrHurricane89

There is an online RPG called Guild Wars 2, which has an interesting feature, that may be related to learning languages.

The feature is the following: if you are using a language other than English, you can press and hold right Control button to switch to english on-the-fly, without going into the game menu or restarting it. Releasing the button reverts it into your language.

What do you think of this, would you like to see this feature in more games, and in movie subtitles if possible?

Study With Us on Discord for FREE!

I have heard about this game a lot times before, but have never given it a try.  I think this feature can be really useful!  Not sure it can be so useful to learn or practice English or any other language, but I'm quite sure this feature can be quite useful.  It'd be cool if we could do that with more games :)

Wait, so does that mean the chat conversations are automatically translated into whatever language of your choice? Or do you mean the menu items/name of items in the game are translated?

(if you can't tell, I don't play games so I don't know how RPGs work XD)

It means that if you chooose your GW2 game to be in German, for example, then you can press and hold right CTRL button to temporarily switch back to English, as long as the buttonis held.

This translates all text in-game, with the exception of player chat. For example, if you are learning German, and you don't understand what does the item's tooltip say, you hold right CTRL to switch to English so that you can clarify its meaning. Same goes for Non-Player Character conversations, skill tooltips, menus and etc.

It's not a real-time translation, instead just a switch between English and another language text.

That's actually really relevant to learning words which are otherwise difficult to learn due to their scarcity in everyday language.