Linguaholic

Preposition after think:'of' or 'about'. Are there others?

Mark Skype Teacher

Hi all,

I have always said to my students that the preposition after 'think' is 'of' or 'about'. Indeed, this is what the BBC infers at: http://www.bbc.co.uk/worldservice/learningenglish/radio/specials/1535_questionanswer/page6.shtml

However, I came across what I believe is an exception in a class the other day when we talk about the language our thought processes are in (i.e. the language we think in). For example, we could say ‘now I have been in France for 6 months, I am starting to think in French instead of English all the time’.

My questions are:

1. Is the above exception correct with 'in'?

2. Apart from phrasal verbs/idioms (e.g. you need to think out of the box), are there any other prepositions that go with think?

I'd be grateful for any enlightenment on this.

Thank you.

Study With Us on Discord for FREE!

However, I came across what I believe is an exception in a class the other day when we talk about the language our thought processes are in (i.e. the language we think in). For example, we could say ‘now I have been in France for 6 months, I am starting to think in French instead of English all the time’.

My questions are:

1. Is the above exception correct with 'in'?

2. Apart from phrasal verbs/idioms (e.g. you need to think out of the box), are there any other prepositions that go with think?

Yes, we do "think in" French, or any other language.

By the way, the idiom is "think outside of the box."

There are other prepositions that go with "think."  Such as:

We "think through" something when we give it careful consideration.

When we plan we "think ahead" of what might happen in the future.

We "think back" when we remember something in the past.

We  "think up" something when we need to be creative. 

If you are alone you might "think to" yourself that you could invite your friends over.

"Think to" has a different meaning in this context:  You realize you didn't "think to" check your voicemail so you missed that party invitation.

There are probably other prepositions that go with "think."  But I can't think of them right now. :)

Perhaps someone can add to the list?

Thanks for the thorough response Laura and the correction... I would think at least some of the examples you kindly indicated are phrasal verbs. Would this be correct?

I was looking for examples of prepositions with think that are not part of phrasal verbs. Perhaps I didn't make that clear. Many thanks anyway.