Linguaholic

Have Countries Become More "English-Friendly"?

Baburra

I think countries have become more English friendly. I remember when we went on holiday to Cyprus years ago, we tried to learn some phrases in their language to help us along and when we got there were surprised that the majority of people were fluent in English. I think it is due to the amount of English who go on holiday to non English countries but I also think we can be a little lazy in learning other languages for holidays. Whenever English people go away they just expect to be understood a lot of the time because we are so used to being spoken to in our own language. I think if we are in a non English speaking country they shouldn't have to speak to us in another language as it is there home but equally I think if you are in the UK you shouldn't speak to people in other languages in public either. This can feel rude and like they are talking about you as most people have no idea what they are saying (this is probably why they do it though!)

Very good point and thanks for sharing your story! I would have found that surprising too, although I wouldn't necessarily attribute that to only the native English speakers since English is an international language and even other tourists might also try and use English to communicate so I would assume that it's partly the reason why countries that are welcoming of tourists are more English friendly.

Most countries definitely have become more English-friendly, because English is the international language, so they adapt to the trend and learn it and even speak it often instead of using their native tongue.