Linguaholic
Grammarly Writing Support

Bonjour à tous! I am finally pursuing my long-held goal of learning French - I can't afford to take classes though so am looking for materials I can use to teach myself. Are there any books/multimedia learning packs that other people have used that they can recommend? I will most likely use this in combination with an app like Duolingo, but I have a background in language learning (a bachelors degree in German and Russian) and know from this that I value resources that also teach grammar rules. An audio element so that I can check my pronunciation is also important. Any tips anyone can offer would be much appreciated! 

(PS - I live in the UK, so I guess I'm on the lookout for books that will be available to me here!)

Improve your knowledge of any language online
On 2/18/2020 at 6:50 AM, russkyhusky said:

Bonjour à tous! I am finally pursuing my long-held goal of learning French - I can't afford to take classes though so am looking for materials I can use to teach myself. Are there any books/multimedia learning packs that other people have used that they can recommend? I will most likely use this in combination with an app like Duolingo, but I have a background in language learning (a bachelors degree in German and Russian) and know from this that I value resources that also teach grammar rules. An audio element so that I can check my pronunciation is also important. Any tips anyone can offer would be much appreciated! 

(PS - I live in the UK, so I guess I'm on the lookout for books that will be available to me here!)

I recommend the series of books at www.FrenchToday.com. These are digital books (Windows, Mac, iOS and Android) which contain both audio and text and teach both formal and informal social registers of French with very natural speech and intonation by native speakers.  I also recommend the books by Assimil, a French language teaching company.  These are textbooks with grammatical notes with audio: https://www.assimil.com/recherche?original_lang=35&lesson_lang=64&level_lang=1497&controller=search&orderby=price&orderway=desc.  Finally, once you have worked through either or both of those, I highly recommend any of the materials on Français Authentique: https://www.francaisauthentique.com.  All of these should be available to you in the UK. I hope this helps! 

• 10 months later...
Top 5 Easy-to-read French Books for French Learners
  1. Best Children's Book: “Le Petit Nicolas” by René Goscinny. Start off slow with a children's book.
  2. Best Modern Classic: “L'Étranger” by Albert Camus. 
  3. Best Poetry: “Calligrammes” by Apollinaire.
  4. Best Classic Novel: “Le Père Goriot” by Honoré de Balzac. 
  5. Best Short Stories: “Contes de la Bécasse” by Guy de Maupassant.

Regards : french language training in pune

• 2 months later...

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By Majul
      Online French courses OUT !
      From 2€/hour : book now your group / private lessons : on http://cours.demarchefle.com   Bonjour / Hello everyone,
      We are launching our new website providing French courses !
      Any student interested can click on the link above to have more information about how to process, what methodology we use, how and when you can take courses, etc.
      We are two native French teachers and we would like to give a maximum of students the opportunity to learn French online at a cheap price, after numerous talks with our foreign students these past years.
      We hope to see you soon !
      À bientôt.
    • By Espandench
      Hi
      Does anyone know of any discord servers for language learning where people actually use the voice chat rooms to speak?
      I have joined a few but the voicechat features are almost never used.
      I'm a woman who is learning French, Esperanto and just starting Mandarin. English is my native language.

Thanks in advance 
      J
    • By reno711
      Hey there!
      I'm looking for someone to revive my French with. I was raised in France until I was three and return there often, but the disuse while living in America has nonetheless made it embarrassingly rusty! If you are looking for an English speaker to exchange with, please let me know through PM.
      Cheers!
    • By EvrSnc
      Hello linguaholics!
      I'm conducting a survey on Chinese language learners, to understand how we discover new words in the language.
      Your responses would really be invaluable to my Master thesis, which is centered around Chinese vocabulary learning and it's aimed at the creation of a prototype
      The survey shouldn't take more than 5-6 minutes of your time and it's completely anonymous.
      https://forms.gle/Gv7DmLMCiqFUbpU39
      If you have any comments or want to share your personal experience on discovering new vocabulary, we can also have a discussion here of course!
    • By Floren
      Welcome to Online Languages! 
      Here, you will be able to practice different languages by speaking and interacting with the best people you could find, make friends, and even play video games together if it's something you are into.
      Join us from here :
      https://discord.gg/KJXXksmnHq

To join us you should follow those steps :
      1-You should install discord from play store. 
      2-Then you sign up in discord .
      3-Then you paste the link in your browser.