Linguaholic

Consonants, Syllables, phones, allophones.

CrownedClown

I've been trying to find a reliable source for those particular topics. I'm currently studing English and I missed few lectures. I'd really appreciate if anyone can give me links to sites where you can see clear charts and there aren't only empty definitions, but you can see examples.

This part of the linguistic studies has proven to be quite hard, so without a good explanation I'm having difficulties to understand them.

Thanks in advance and I hope I haven't wrote this topic in the wrong section. Just found this site and I'm really excited about it :)

Well, a site dedicated to phonetics which might be very helpful for you is from the University of Iowa at: http://www.uiowa.edu/~acadtech/phonetics/#

Wikipedia is also probably a pretty good source. I might also be able to answer some questions you have. With phones and allophones, all phones are allophones when considering the phoneme to which they belong. The thing to examine is a phoneme. For example, in English we have a mental representation of /s/, which is a phoneme. The physical manifestation of /s/ can be which is a faithful allophone because it shares all the characteristics of /s/, but the physical manifestation of /s/ can also be [z]. Concerning the English phoneme /s/, is a faithful allophone and [z] is an unfaithful allophone.

Sorry. I'm not sure what happened with the strikethrough in my previous post. I mentioned Wikipedia before, but I found a page dedicated to English phonology, which is what you were asking about. Here's the link:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/English_phonology

It's nice that all the phones and phonemes are linked to separate pages so you can access their recordings. I hope it helps!

Dear lord, thank you so much. I have no idea why when I was searching this never came up. So much information it's exactly what I'm looking for. I suppose since I was searching for phonology in general and not "english phonology" it never came up. Again thank you this is exactly what I've been looking for. Got exams after the winter vacation in January and this should definitely help in preparing :)