Linguaholic

U and Non-U Vocabulary

Dandylover1

Does anyone know where I might find scholarly articles, books, etc. on U and Non-U vocabulary?  I am unsure whether we are allowed to post links here, so I will briefly quote from Wikipedia.

"U and non-U English usage, with "U" standing for upper class, and "non-U" representing the aspiring middle classes, was part of the terminology of popular discourse of social dialects (sociolects) in Britain in the 1950s. The different vocabularies can often appear quite counter-intuitive: the middle classes prefer "fancy" or fashionable words, even neologisms and often euphemisms, in attempts to make themselves sound more refined ("posher than posh"), while the upper classes in many cases stick to the same plain and traditional words that the working classes also use, as, confident in the security of their social position, they have no need to seek to display refinement."

I actually find this quite interesting, coming from the perspective of one who loves nineteenth-century English, in which the upper class were constantly adding new words, particularly of French origin, or using established ones from French, Latin, Greek, etc.  I would have thought the middle and lower classes would use the simpler words. 

How many of you find this to be true, and does it still hold today?

Study With Us on Discord for FREE!