Linguaholic

Does what you use to write affect your efficacy in writing well?

I use to be the sort of person who would literally put pen to paper first before transferring my thoughts to a word processor. It helped with avoiding a lot of editing once you were done writing because I'd write and re-write several times before deciding what I was working on was 'good to go.' However when I stopped writing plays, I didn't see a need to put my thoughts on paper first before getting them on my computer. The transition was difficult and I always felt I wasn't writing as well as I could when I wrote traditional style with a pen and a  paper.

Have any of you had such an experience?

I think so, yes. I find it much easier to type out anything that I need to be descriptive and informative with wherein I need to be as detailed and precise as I can be; but if I'm trying to write something a little more artistic or creative, I tend to do it better writing things by hand. I don't know why this is, to be honest, and I always thought it was just me.  :wacky:

This forum has taught me that I am not alone. I use to think that I was a bit old fashioned to be writing everything on paper and then making the transfer to my computer. Doing it that way somehow gave me more confidence in formatting what I wanted to express. It was only after doing posting that I started putting my words directly on screen which in the beginning was a little difficult for me at times.

Not really. Pen and paper or through the use of a Computer has no impact on my writing skill whatsoever, the only problem I have when using the computer is I tend to overlook what I'm writing and sometimes I double the words which I also do when writing in pen. There's no big difference actually.