Linguaholic

Pronunciation of the Korean alphabet

Joo.K

Pronounce of Korean alphabet

we will start learning a very basic thing in Korean language. This is the very first thing that people should learn when they study Korean.

Some of foreigners think that Korean has too many characters like Asian languages such Chinese and Japanese. However, it's really simple and formatted alphabet, which you can learn fast. The alphabet was invented in 1443 during the reign of the Great King Sejong. There are 14 basic consonants and 10 basic vowels.

I will show you both Hangeul(Korean) and Romanization.

First, there is 'Basic Consonants'.

ㄱ (g/k),  ㄴ(n), ㄷ(d/t),

ㄹ (r/l),  ㅁ(m), ㅂ(b/p),

ㅅ (s),    ㅇ(ng), ㅈ,(j),

ㅊ(ch),    ㅋ(k),  ㅌ(t),

ㅍ(p),    ㅎ(h)

Secondly, there is 'Compound Consonants'. I think it'll be very hard to pronounce them if you're a foreigner. I recommend you to spend your time practicing the pronounce of Compound Consonants.

ㄲ (kk), ㄸ(tt), ㅃ(pp), ㅆ(ss), ㅉ(jj)

Third one is 'Basic Vowels'

ㅏ(a), ㅓ(eo), ㅕ(yeo), ㅗ(o), ㅛ(yo), ㅜ(u), ㅠ(yu), ㅡ(eu), ㅣ(i)

Last one is 'Compound Vowels'

ㅑ(ya), ㅐ(ae), ㅒ(yae), ㅔ(e), ㅖ(ye), ㅚ(oe), ㅟ(wi), ㅢ(ui), ㅘ(wa), ㅝ(wo), ㅙ(wae), ㅞ(we)

Studying Korean alphabet is very important because we need to understand Korean by listening, speaking and writing. If you don't memorize the sounds and alphabet, you cannot say words properly.

I know the pronunciation above can be very helpful, but i recommend you to study them by listening audio files. As i mentioned earlier, we need very special attention. When you are done with Korean alphabet, you can start learning Korean Grammar.

If you have any questions, please ask.

Writer: Joo.K