Linguaholic

Irish Gaelic school staff and students create incredible music video in Gaelic

BWL

This one is very beautiful to watch and listen to! It's the staff and students (together with a cover band with members who are themselves teachers in the school) of a Gaelic language summer school who created a music video (several, actually) of popular hit songs sung in Gaelic. Their version of Avicii's "Wake Me Up" is particularly stunning.

What an ingenious way to encourage language learning!

• 1 month later...

Oh WOW! This is just awesome! Honestly, I have no idea who Avicii is, but this is just amazing. I haven't heard the original song so I guess I just got spoiled to this version instantly!

The boy singing has a really pretty voice. I cranked my hearing aids to listen to it and was pretty blown away by it. Fantastic! Thanks so much for posting this! I think I am going to see if I can download it.  :grin:

• 1 year later...

I have been subscribed to TG Lurgan for a few years now and they just keep getting better and better! I love the videos they put together too - I often get chills watching them, seeing all those young voices in unison as they help to preserve their language. I don't listen to much pop music in English but it is so lovely to have the option in Irish - otherwise our option is mainly folk music. I love traditional Irish music but it is high time for more variety in this language.

Some of my other favorite covers:

Fun. - Some Nights

Imagine Dragons - It's Time

Macklemore & Ryan Lewis - Can't Hold Us

• 2 months later...
On 11/10/2015, 5:25:41, Saoirse said:

I have been subscribed to TG Lurgan for a few years now and they just keep getting better and better! I love the videos they put together too - I often get chills watching them, seeing all those young voices in unison as they help to preserve their language. I don't listen to much pop music in English but it is so lovely to have the option in Irish - otherwise our option is mainly folk music. I love traditional Irish music but it is high time for more variety in this language.

Some of my other favorite covers:

Fun. - Some Nights

Imagine Dragons - It's Time

Macklemore & Ryan Lewis - Can't Hold Us

Their rendition of 'Some Nights' in Gaelic sounds better than the original! I think it's because the song and melody itself has a hint of Celtic influence in the first place.

• 8 months later...

I've seen this one.  There's another one of Daft Punk's "Get Lucky" as Gaeilge on YouTube that is really awesome.  I've caught myself singing the Gaeilge words to it when it comes on the radio in the car.  There are also some cute cartoon music videos to more traditional songs, like this one to Bean Pháidín.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P1la2k7gJn4