Linguaholic

Multilingual?

licklozay

Are they any people out there that are multilingual? If you are I wanted to find out do you face any challenges unbalancing the various languages that you speak. I tend to find myself losing the clarity on certain words within the different languages that I speak as I wanted to find out if this was a common thing amongst people who speak multiple languages.

Are they any people out there that are multilingual? If you are I wanted to find out do you face any challenges unbalancing the various languages that you speak. I tend to find myself losing the clarity on certain words within the different languages that I speak as I wanted to find out if this was a common thing amongst people who speak multiple languages.

Back when I was younger and my interest in languages had just started, I really thought I could be multilingual later on.  Sadly life got in the way and now I don't have the same mental capabilities (I had an accident a few years ago), so no, I'm pretty sure I can no longer be a multilingual person.  When i was younger and had full capability I could have done it, I'm 100% sure of that, but not now.

I can hardly keep up being bilingual ;)  I might be trilingual soon, but that's it.  I know a lot Israeli guys who speak 5 languages.

I'm bilingual, and I guess as long as you grew up or lived in the country that speaks the language then it is quite easy to learn the language since you get immersed in the whole culture and the people that speak the language. I have faced no problems being bilingual because both languages are widely used in my country, but if I were to learn another language then for sure I would start from scratch all over again.

I know how to speak 3 languages but I'm only fluent in two of them. The third one is Chinese and although i can speak it probably enough to get by in a Chinese speaking country, I'd probably still need advanced lessons or at least a refresher course to further communicate.

I'm guessing you come from a Chinese family or something like that? I ask because more st people I have met with the same issue as you came from a family where both parents spoke two different languages, most of the time living in a foreign country for both of them.

I doubt this will ever happen to my child, because they will speak my language st home and their dad language at school or with friends.

• 2 weeks later...

Ah, I understand what you mean. I am a Filipino who speaks French and English. I am better at English and sometimes I mix up French and English. Like when I speak French, I sometimes use English words by mistake.  :wacky:

I'm multilingual but i don't have any issues in regard to pronunciation or clarity of words. The only issue i have is that i tend to forget some words in my mother tongue since i no longer speak it a lot.

I think you are faced with this problem when you don't always use the language. Not having persons around you who speak the languages you do can makes it a bit challenging to keep up. It is always best to communicate with others in all the languages as often as possible.

I'm not sure if speaking two languages and being mediocre in third counts, but let me brag about it. :P I spend a lot of my time on the internet, browsing English websites for the most part. That becomes a problem once I want to discuss certain topics with my friends in Slovene. I sometimes simply can't come up with the right word at all, even though Slovene is my mother language. It's so strange and a bit scary!