Linguaholic

Any good audio grammar books?

Cb4

Hello,

I drive a lot for work, so I am looking for some good audiobook on grammar. I have pimsleur, which is great for practicing, but I'm looking for something that explains grammar rules (how to conjugate verb tenses, when to use which tenses, etc).

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

I think this one is really cute:

It is an 1877 book that was designed for children. I know that most people would want something more updated but I think that it is really well done! We have noticed an alarming number of English grammar books that are teaching too many idiomatic expressions, writing out the accent in English instead of the proper written form. For example, 'Wader' instead of Water for the American accent. I think it is important for people to learn the formal language first and then learn local ways of saying things informally. Since grammar is a difficult thing, I think a child's grammar book is the perfect thing to begin with. And even for a native English speaker like myself, we have trouble knowing the correct terms for grammar. I only speak the way my parents taught me. But this has made learning other language difficult because when being taught I did not know the fundamentals and so could only learn by being given examples. Instead of saying, 'The preposition would be...' I would need someone to say, 'It is like when you say...' and then I comprehended the use. I think listening to books like this will help all of us build a foundation. Those of us who need to use English anyways.  :wink:

• 2 months later...