Linguaholic

On Verb and Basic Verb Usage

AureliaeLacrimae

Verb is the most important part of the sentence in Latin as Latin is a verb-oriented language. In theory, you can have a sentence without any other element but verb in Latin. Scribo means I write. It will be completely correct to simply say Scribo instead of Ego scribo (which is also correct), as Latin favours the usage without pronouns! (the opposite of English).

So, Scribo means I write. In a dialogue where someone asks you what you are doing, you can answer with that one word and you will have a complete sentence.

This also means that Latin sentence places the special focus on the verb, which is why it is mostly at the ending. Many may wonder why. I do too. Our teacher once told us that the words which you remember the most are the first and the last in the sentence, but better the last as it is fresher in your memory. (I am simplifying things)

What also differs from English, but may be similar with some other European languages are the verb endings. I have attached the endings for present ''simple'' tense here with the verb ''amo, amare'' (to love).

This verb though, needs an object when you use it. Even in English, just saying ''I love'' isn't a complete sentence. ''I-love-whom'' is the complete form where whom stands for an object in the accusative form. So I could say:

Terram amo. - I love the land. (terra, ae, f - land; accusative form for ae-declination is -am ending)

Patriam amo. - I love the homeland. (patria, ae, f - homeland, same as terra)

Silvam amo. - I love the forest (silva, ae, f - forest is also a noun of ae-declension, so same as terra)

In English, verb wouldn't change if you wished to say ''you love the land''. In Latin it does, following the chart I have enclosed. So, the same sentences from before in 2nd person singular:

Terram amas. - You love the land.

Patriam amas. - You love the homeland.

Silvam amas. - You love the forest.

The object in accusative form didn't change. It stays in the accusative form! Same would be for the 3rd person singular:

Terram amat. - He/She loves the land.

Patriam amat. - He/She loves the homeland.

Silvam amat. - He/She loves the forest.

Anyone wishing to complete the sentences by using the 1st plural form, 2nd plural form and the 3rd plural form of the verbs from the chart? And if I told you that the following nouns had the same pattern of accusative/object form like terra, would you be able to write sentences using them?

dea, ae, f - goddess

filia, ae, f - daughter

aqua, ae, f - water