Linguaholic

What is your motivation?

Hi there,

I am in my final year of university and I'm writing a Dissertation on the values of learning an additional language and the attitudes towards it.

I have created a survey that only takes a couple of minutes to fill and any responses from would be very much appreciated! Here is the link:

https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/BTBM72D

Thanks in advance for your time!

• 2 weeks later...

The motivation of my friend to learn another language is mostly because she wants to move abroad, she is looking for a good job opportunity and for that she needs to learn a new language.  Another friend of mine is learning japanese because he dreams of moving there, he loves watching anime and reading manga, but doesn't like to watch the dubbed version of his favorite anime shows. So I guess that is also motivating him.

As for me?  Well, let's say I have to, lol. I used to love learning languages when I was younger, by the way.  I dreamed of learning as many languages as possible.

Hi. I answered your survey. As for my motivation, I'd say opportunities for job and career enrichment will make me really pursue learning another language. Moving to another country with most its locals not familiar with the English language will push me to learn their language. Those two are so far the best motivators for me.

• 1 month later...

I completed your survey, it was really fun and not so long!  I found it really interesting because after years of not studying a new language, I have started learning a new one :)  I'm no longer doing it for fun or as a hobby (I did that before) now I am doing it because I really have to.  I thought it was going to be so hard, because I thought that learning a language under this kind of circumstance wasn't ideal, but guess what?  I was so wrong!

• 8 months later...

The reasons for me wanting to learn a new language are actually quite simple.  I like foreign languages and with the increase of Spanish-speaking immigrants, it's just practical.  I love all foreign languages.  The increase of immigrants from Spanish-speaking countries is what helped me decide to learn Spanish first. 

Motivation is a very interesting topic. Psychologists say that people are doing things either to get pleasure or avoid pain. I find that quite correct in my case :) I learn languages either with the idea of having something pleasant out of it (studying for fun, to better understand a person, to be able to communicate abroad etc) or in order to avoid something bad (studying to improve my mood when I'm sad, to not miss a good job offer and so on).

But I do find love for the person speaking that language or simply for the language itself is the greatest motivator.