Linguaholic

Do you think the language levels might pull some people back?

elles-belles

I wonder what the basis is by the originator of the framework to merge the two language skills. While a lot of us are of the same mind that the framework should be split in two for writing and speaking, there has got to be a reason why the developers of the framework merged the two.

• 10 months later...

I actually sort of like the European framework because, however subjective one's knowledge of a given language is, we do have to differentiate somehow, and I like knowing my approximate level.

That said, I totally agree with most people here to pointed out to the difference between speaking/listening and writing/reading skills. It is a pity the framework does not distinguish between active and passive abilities. Personally, whenever I write a CV, I always specify that while I can read Italian or Spanish texts of B1 or even B2 level, my speaking ability is not far from A1, max A2. Taking "one average" would certainly save visual space in the document but doesn't really make any sense. For some jobs, an ability to read and write a language is actually enough, and I'd undermine my opportunity of getting it if I write A1, while in actual fact it's B1.

It amazes me that anyone opposes having defined language levels. How is defining a language level hurting you? If you're required to have a B2 in French for a certain job, should you be angry at the definition of B2? Why not be angry at the people who made it a requirement? If conversation isn't required for the job, and you've passed B2 listening, reading and writing, should you be mad at the definition of B2, or should you be mad at the people who won't accept your exam scores? If you've been put into a B2 level French class, and it's too easy for you, should you be upset with the definition of B2, or upset with your placement?

What I like about the CEFR is that it gives us an approximate level for our language skills. I can't count how many times I've been told by someone "I'm fluent", which means absolutely nothing to me. If people would just state their CEFR level, we might actually know approximately how skilled they are. I know - what a radical idea.