Linguaholic

Insufficient resources in less common languages

Filipe

Some languages are not very widespread or are only spoken in one country, like Catalunian, Estonian, Danish... Do you think there is enough resources for learning foreign languages? Are there enough dictionaries, language pairs or websites that help you learn the langauges?

I don't know about less popular languages like the ones you listed, but I do believe popular modern foreign languages like French, Spanish, Italian, German and Chinese have an abundance of resources both online and offline. Chances are for the less popular ones, there'll be less resources. BUT then I couldn't definitively say, as I don't have first hand experience with those languages. Let's hope someone who has had such an experience comes along and sheds some light on your question :)

Hi Filipe, yes I definitely agree but that's just natural that its going to be harder to find material in those niche languages. I hate to keep shamlessly plugging italki (http://www.italki.com/?ref=1555469) but its a great resource and there are a lot of teachers out there in those less popular languages. For example I just checked and there at 27 Catalan teachers and 8 Danish teachers. No Estonian teachers tho. The other hand is that these teachers usually are a tad more expensive. Supply and demand! Good luck.

There are languages that were harder to learn due the scarcity of materials found online to learn them. One example of this is Sorani Kurdish, some years ago it was impossible to find materials to learn that language, but now it's  not so hard!  But there are languages that are almost impossible to learn with materials found online or offline... like for example ''ladino''.  There are some resources online, but not many... and the only place where I've heard they offer courses sometimes is Israel.

Most Sephardi Jews in Israel don't speak ladino, but some organizations are starting to offer courses for those interested in learning ladino.