Linguaholic

The most likely French-speaking industry/place?

One point I focus about is often about how to get involved in your target language and doing so without taking always a train ticket or take a boat to reach some country where you could get immersed. Instead, i try to find innovative ways to get there.

The thing is that can help is to find a industry or a domain, or something where French language is notoriously commonly used, or at least understood enough to hope to practice with them instead of doing so at home. I think it could be the food hobby, somehow, but I'm not fully convinced, because I have hard time to find better and more well suited for that.

Study With Us on Discord for FREE!

I am a bit lost here to be honest, what do you mean by ''industry''??   Do you mean find a place locally where people speak french?   I think that would be kinda hard where I currently live, but soon I will be living in a place where I can drive for a couple hours to a place where everyone speaks french ;)   But I don't think we will be doing that often to be honest.  I do plan to learn french later though (the more languages the better chances to get a good job). 

I am a bit lost here to be honest, what do you mean by ''industry''??   Do you mean find a place locally where people speak french?   I think that would be kinda hard where I currently live, but soon I will be living in a place where I can drive for a couple hours to a place where everyone speaks french ;)   But I don't think we will be doing that often to be honest.  I do plan to learn french later though (the more languages the better chances to get a good job). 

I am talking about industries because some industries are strongly tied against a language. French is believed to be tied to cuisine, since there's chefs learning in France, and the fact some cuisine words are taken straight and directly from French instead of having any other origin than that. We could also say that the mozzarella industry is taken by Italians people maybe and so Italian is a main language inside this industry. You get the idea?

Because places where people speak French for example, aren't out of scope here. Just, it feels less "tied" to any real industry. Take the example of cars, why these drivers speaks French? It is not because of their activity I guess.

I am talking about industries because some industries are strongly tied against a language. French is believed to be tied to cuisine, since there's chefs learning in France, and the fact some cuisine words are taken straight and directly from French instead of having any other origin than that. We could also say that the mozzarella industry is taken by Italians people maybe and so Italian is a main language inside this industry. You get the idea?

Because places where people speak French for example, aren't out of scope here. Just, it feels less "tied" to any real industry. Take the example of cars, why these drivers speaks French? It is not because of their activity I guess.

Weeeell, when I think of french cuisine I think of french bakery ;)  Like baguettes and croissants, lol.  Actually there are so many terms that don't seem to have a translation to english, like ''pain au chocolate''  <----- one of my fav ones.  I just checked and I noticed your mother tongue is french.  Anyways, I got a bit confused because of this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Industry  I will actually start studying french right after I am done with dutch ;) 

• 2 weeks later...

I see what you mean about French being tied to the restaurant and catering industry. Years ago, I taught some college students who were trainee chefs and they had to take some French lessons. The other industry would be Hotel management, which also incorporates cooking; the students have to have some level of French and so are expected to do it. I'm not sure if once they're on the field, they actually have to speak it.

I've also seen some contact centre based customer service agents roles advertised, where they want either Spanish or French speaking agents. That could be a very good route to go for those brave enough to take it. Being on the phone and constantly having to communicate with customers in French and help them resolve their problem in French would be very intense, but a surefire way of getting a lot of practice in. I think you'd have to be very advanced in the language because some customer may not have any patience at all if you got stuck, which could get very awkward.