Linguaholic

English Tongue Twisters

Hello everyone! :)

I have always been fond of tongue twisters and I also find them very helpful when it comes to helping a person with English pronunciation and diction. For me, it's a fun and informal way of learning English. I'm actually trying to introduce tongue twisters to my 6-year-old boy right now and somehow he's having a good time doing it.

My all time favorite is the Peter Piper tongue twister. How about you guys, what's your favorite tongue twister?

Study With Us on Discord for FREE!

I don't have a favorite tongue twister, but I teach English tongue twisters to my Japanese students. You're right, it's a great way for them to practice pronunciation. My Japanese students have a hard time with the "s" and "sh" sounds so the "She sells seashells by the seashore" one is a great one for them to practice the two sounds. 

My all-time favorite is "how much wood could a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood". So funny! And so much fun to say. She sells seashells by the seashore is another go-to tongue-twister for me as well. Also the classic Peter Piper. But there are some that give me a hard time, like "Denise sees the fleece, Denise sees the fleas. At least Denise could sneeze and feed and freeze the fleas".

I haven't any favorites either but here are a few I sort of like:

A big black bug bit a big black bear, then a big
Black bear bit the big black bug.
And when the big black bear bit the big black bug,
Then the big black bug bit the big black bear.

Peter Piper picked a peck of pickled peppers. Did Peter Piper pick a peck of pickled peppers? If Peter Piper picked a peck of pickled peppers, where's the peck of pickled peppers Peter Piper picked?

Betty Botter had some butter, “But,” she said, “this butter's bitter. If I bake this bitter butter, it would make my batter bitter. But a bit of better butter – that would make my batter better.”
So she bought a bit of butter, better than her bitter butter, and she baked it in her batter, and the batter was not bitter. So 'twas better Betty Botter bought a bit of better butter.

How much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood? He would chuck, he would, as much as he could, and chuck as much wood as a woodchuck would if a woodchuck could chuck wood.