Linguaholic

Learning spanish on your own?

Trellum

Is anyone trying to learn spanish on his/her own?  I'd really like to know what you're using to do so, assuming you're actually doing it on your own, of course :)  It'd be really great if you could share and talk about the resources you are using to learn spanish on your own. 

It's no secret I'm really interested in self-teaching, after all that's how I learnt english :)  It'd be nice to get to know  more people who are interested in learning languages this way.  I think it can be really exciting, but also extremely hard, because you need to have a lot will power in order to keep on studying and practicing the language every single day!

I taught myself Spanish by buying a workbook at the local book store. It really helped me. It came with a CD for my PC at the time as well, but I learned to speak it almost fluently, without even using the CD. I also would practice writing letters back and forth to myself in order to improve my language skills.

I have a bunch of Spanish textbooks, but unfortunately none of them will teach anything simply by sitting there, lol.

I need to find more things to read that are entirely in Spanish, for immersion purposes, but it's hard to find something that's interesting enough for me to struggle through, without speaking Spanish in the first place.

I know what you mean, I had a lot english textbooks as well, but I've ADD so I couldn't really concentrate long enough on that.  I could never learn that way, I've always like to have a more active role when it comes to learning a new language.  So far english has been my only success.  I can read hebrew, but that's it, lol.

Have you tried to find pen pals to write e-mails to?  The pimsleur program can make wonders... if you are looking for a course that can help you to start speaking the language asap, then Pimsleur is the way to go.  It doesn't come with tedious grammar rules and exercises... I think the pimsleur program is the closest a student like us can get to a ''language immersion''.  You should try it.

I taught myself Spanish by buying a workbook at the local book store. It really helped me. It came with a CD for my PC at the time as well, but I learned to speak it almost fluently, without even using the CD. I also would practice writing letters back and forth to myself in order to improve my language skills.

That's amazing!  So you can speak and write it fluently?  I had such a huge trouble learning to ''speak'' english, but writing it wasn't so hard.  It's kinda funny some people who start learning a language on their own first start with the written form, and the start to worry about the pronunciation :)  I think is truly remarkable you taught yourself spanish :)