Linguaholic

Have you ever learned a new language only to give up after a few weeks?

kenthoang28

Study With Us on Discord for FREE!

Yeah, I've done this. It's not that I get unmotivated, it's just that it's sometimes hard to find free time for something like learning languages. What makes it even more difficult is that it's something you need to practise everyday to get really good at, so having just one day off could make it difficult the next.

Yep,  :sad:

I started learning Portuguese last year and because I started getting so busy I didn't make time for it. But now I've improved my time management skills I'm hoping to start off learning again the week after next :)

Fingers crossed this will be for longer, I know it will  :smile:

Yes, funny how many things I've started(not only languages) with plenty of enthusiasm, just to abandon it altogether a few weeks down the road. I guess it's just a part of my character, but I sometimes simply don't finish things. I remember trying out Russian, and slowly backing away from it until I lost my skills and couldn't get myself to practice anymore, either due to lack of time, or willpower problems, procrastination is a real pain. But lately I've been pretty motivated, and not allowing myself to give up on Spanish, or other endeavors that I've began.

At a time when I was very much interested in the history of Russia, I figured that to actually learn more about the Russian culture I would have to learn the language. But the moment I discovered that they used a totally different script/alphabet. . .I lost interest.

I have indeed on a few occasions. Sometime I will only want an overview of the language or want to study it briefly out of curiosity. Some other languages though like french I had had serious intention of learning, but never persisted. With regards to Russian specifically the script shouldn't put you off as it's one of the easiest foreign scripts to learn. You could do it in a day if you wanted.

I gave up on Spanish after 5 years of learning. The verbs are just too hard! I've been trying to get back into it though. I started learning Korean and still study here and there but the pronunciation is really difficult to get the hang of.