Linguaholic

British Slang Help

StarShine

:) Hey everyone!

I'm actually an English speaker but need some help with British slang for a project that I'm working on...

I'm writing a script for a film that takes place in England in the 1960s. I'm working on part of a scene that takes place somewhat late at night. I've got one character {age 22} telling another character {age 20 but mute and  somewhat childlike with brain damage from scarlet fever} essentially "time to tuck in" because everyone is about to get ready for bed and go to sleep. But I remember from a documentary re-enactment that "tuck in" is the equivalent of saying "let's eat" in the USA. So does anyone have any ideas on this or any suggestions??

Get back to me on this please,

Thanks!

Starshine :)

• 4 months later...

"Time to tuck in" would make me (English-woman) think you meant to eat something.

"Tucked in" does mean to go to bed though, so perhaps a wee change to something like "Time to get tucked in" or "Time for tucking in" would work a little better?