Linguaholic

Do you consider graphic novels worth reading?

g2narat

Of course they are worth reading! Specially if you like a material in particular!  Who cares what the others think or like?  When reading something you should only care about what you think, if you like it you should read it.  Who cares about the trends and what others think? Specially when it comes to something as personal as reading material.  Anyways, that is my answer to your question regarding to graphic novels, that's how I see it. 

I personally like some graphic novels, I don't care if others don't like it or think less of them because they're graphic novels.  I enjoy reading some of them and that is ALL that matters.  That in my opinion make them worth to read.

Yes! I find it interesting that some literature snobs don't appreciate a different artistic medium. That seems a bit narrow-minded for someone who is supposed to have an active imagination.

Neil Gaiman's Sandman is definitely good, as are Alan Moore's V For Vendetta and Watchmen. If you were a fan of The Dark Knight, also check out The Killing Joke by Alan Moore. That's the story that inspired the movie.

Just like literature, graphic novels can add to one's own cultural awareness. To me, that alone makes them important.

Graphic novels are big thing ;) A lot new movies have and are still pooping out... all based on graphic novels. I love it.  Graphic novels are such a great invention, they have shaped a big part of our pop culture and that says a lot, because not many literary works have done that, at least not in the way some graphic novels have.  I enjoy both the western and japanese graphic works :)

• 5 months later...

Graphic novels or comic books are often snubbed by the writing community. I don't understand this because I've read a lot of graphic novels that are just as intellectually stimulating as other books. A good example of this would be the Sandman series by Neil Gaiman. What's you're take on this? Do you think they're worth reading?

I am not really that into graphic novels, but I don't think they are totally snubbed by the writing community. I actually believe that most graphic novels are really deep and thought-provoking such as The Three Incestuous by Audrey Niffenegger.

Graphic novels are definitely worth reading provided they have the following qualities:

• A good plot
  • Interesting characters
  • Contain lessons and good values
  • Great pacing
  • Not geared towards fan service (I've seen lots of graphic novels drop in quality because of this.)

The more bizarre, the better for me. I like out-of-this-world settings because they ignite my senses. So yeah, dystopian plots and alternative universes are greatly appealing. You enjoy them better when there are graphics to back up the storyline.