Linguaholic

Unable to roll my R's?

Azurix

I've had problems with my T sounds. I can't really make it roll out as smooth as possible, for example if I were to say the word "literally" or "together" I'm having trouble with the T sound. But my main way of coping up with this is I just substitute other words or just speak the words slowly and more carefully.

I too have trouble rolling my R's. I've had trouble doing it since high school and haven't really had any success in trying to overcome my lack of ability in doing so. I think it has something to do with the shape of my tongue. No matter how much I practice it, or want to do it. There just isn't a way for me to do so successfully.

I am also unable to roll my r's and so I sound a little silly when I speak Spanish.  It is something that you have to practice with over a long period of time.  That is why those who speak a foreign language as their native language have such an easy time doing it; years and years of practice.

I used to be horrified that I'd be called out to speak during Spanish class in high school. It was pretty embarrassing not being able to speak the language properly. And especially the way I sounded rolling my R's. Pretty goofy and embarrassing. Not a fun situation at all. The bad part about it is that I haven't really gotten any better at doing it over time. Unfortunate.