Linguaholic

Vocabulary and Immersion learning

lizlib62

I moved to a new country so I've been studying from books to learn the new language. I have found that I learn best when I'm just out making conversation with the locals. I have improved my grammar and ability to make correct sentences. My questions is how do you handle vocabulary building when learning in an immersion environment? When I'm just having a conversation with someone and I can't understand a word or two, I try to remember them for later to translate. Do you have a better way?

Well, this might not be applicable in every situation, but you could just ask the person about the word on the spot. If you are just chatting with your friends and don't understand the meaning of a particular word, just ask them, they would be happy to help you improve your vocabulary.

In situations where you don't feel comfortable asking the person about the meaning of the word, just remember it for later.

• 2 weeks later...

I think what you do, using a text book and remembering the word and researching it later is a great way to strengthen your vocabulary. The dictionary is also a very helpful way. The only other way I can think of would be to be brave and let the person you are communicating with know that you are a new learner of the language and ask for help if the need arise.

Well well! Immersion doesn't imply you go completely textbook free! You need to actually use a tool or invest in a good vocabulary book. I'm doing that and has helped me tremendously. I recommend you to do the same thing.

Try to create your own material! I loved to create my own cards that had the picture or drawing plus the word written in the native language.

I think the easiest way to know an unfamiliar foreign word is to just carry a translation dictionary with you, plus if you have mobile internet access then you can simply google the word that you come across that you don't understand.

I like talking to other people in English first and learn words and phrases of their own local country slowly that way. If the person I'm talking to is patient enough then soon I will have a good enough repertoire to build off of and hopefully after that I could carry a conversation more fluently even with a few English words here and there.

Yes. Talking to the locals is the best thing you can do to learn the language and the pronunciations, but vocabulary is kind of broad depending on which part of the globe you are because sometimes one thing can mean different to other places in the same country. Try to ask them about it, it's the best way you can do.

My experiences in trying to remember words from a conversation in a foreign language, have had mixed results. I recall one particular occasion when I remembered the word, but a freind of mine translated it later into something that didn't make sense. Sometimes there are similar words, and you have to remember the subtle r's and l's in it, otherwise they sound like another word. But if you the context of the sentence is explained, then you may be able to learn the exact word later. Writing it down immediately somewhere is better, or you you could record the word into your phone.

To add a new word into our vocabulary, you need to be able to understand it and use it. 

When talking to a native speaker and you hear an unfamiliar word or expression, if the situation allows it, try to ask immediately what it means.  Usually, if they know you are not a native speaker, most native speakers don't mind explaining.  Once you understand the word, try using it immediately.  You can anchor the word in your memory by remembering this incident or relating it to some familiar concept.  Remembering how you learned it is actually a good memory tool.

If you are not able to ask the speaker about the word, then you might want to write it down and look it up in a dictionary later or ask someone else.  Try to use the new word as often as you can until it becomes part of your active vocabulary.

Good luck.