Linguaholic

School

DancingLady

I prefer to have a tutor because that person can sliw down the lesson if I am struggling with a word or concept, where as a class instructor cant. I find it horribly embarrassing if I do not catch on as quickly and I hate trying to speak in a class setting if I do not know what I am saying. I get embarrassed very easy.

• 1 month later...

I just spent five years in school (graduated in 2013). I don't think I would go back. That is not to say that I don't have an interest learning another language. I know a lot of people learn languages without going to school. People can buy software, like Rosetta Stone. Some people are so good at it, they can learn a language merely by listening over a long period of time. I don't know if I would be able to do that.

I think I would if the cost of learning a language in school is affordable. But if it's not, then I won't. I would just try to self-study, unless I really, really wanted to become fluent in a language. If that's the case then I would save up for the tuition.

I would take anything that was available, providing money weren't an object. I'd love to attend classes for French and Italian, especially. I'd want to know beforehand that the teacher was a native speaker though. I'm most interested in the spoken language, not the ins and out of the grammatical text speak.

My most effective language learning experience was in college, and I'm guessing I'm not alone here.  There are a lot of benefits to being in a class when learning a new language.

Would you ever go back to school to learn a language? Perhaps not to major in it and get a degree, but just to take language courses as a non-admitted student?

Some of my best learning experiences are also from collage!!! I would definitely consider going back to school to learn a new language just going off my prior experiences, I caught on pretty fast with a teacher or lecturer in front of me!

I would probably go back to school if I really need to learn a language though I think I’ll find it easier if I stay in the country of the foreign language I’m learning and talk to the natives because I believe exposure and experience are a big factor then enroll in a school to be able to learn it more.

Yes definitely. Sometimes I'm mad at myself for not taking advantage of all the opportunities that were handed out to me. Learning a language used to feel like a drag in school but I wish I had just pushed myself. And now all these private lessons are so expensive. Most of the time I usually go online and try to teach myself as much as I can. It's really time consuming though.