Linguaholic

Is there anyone interested in learning Latin?

Guest wellpostlooper

It's a goal of time. So many languages are derived from Latin, it would be interesting to see how they interconnect. I actually think Latin should be mandatory for kids to learn in school, lots of English words have Latin roots. It would be behoove students to learn Latin and give them a better understanding of English while they're developing they're communication and literacy skills.

Study With Us on Discord for FREE!

For all of you who wish to learn Latin, I have added several of the basic things into the subforum ''Other Languages'' - > ''Study Latin''.

Content

At the moment, there are only a few basic pronunciation rules, the alphabet and a few paragraphs on the origin of Latin and its importance, but for the time being, that is enough to keep you occupied. There will, of course, be more in time to come. I will add some basic vocabulary, perhaps some grammar and a few sentences for translation. This is all for basic learners, that is, those who hadn't had contact with Latin before. Are there any of you who had studied Latin before and would like something more difficult? If yes, I will work on that as well, just let me know.

Dictionaries

You will also find a list of dictionaries there, both online and in paperback, so no worries there.

Hopefully, we'll have enough enthusiastic students! Do join us!

If given the chance, why not? I just get intimidated because it seems so difficult to listen to as was the case when I was still in Uni. Catholic priests sometimes said some parts of the mass in Latin and the language seemed too tricky for me. So that made me think it must be so difficult to learn.

Nevertheless, if I would learn it, I should have the time and a really good reason for doing so. Otherwise, I might not get the extra push to learn it.

Every language is complicated, but you simply have to give it a chance. If you don't try, you can't know whether it ''feels'' right for you or not. I too had Latin in school and then I decided to read Latin at the university. I've been studying it for five years, and I haven't regretted my choice. I believe Latin is perfect for me - it somehow makes me feel good while reading texts. I still have so much to learn - I don't think I could possibly learn enough, but I don't give up.

If you ever feel like you should do something, go with the flow! The excuse ''I don't have time'' isn't acceptable. There will never be time, if you look at it from a realistic point of view - there will always be something to do, always somewhere to go... but if you keep ignoring what you want, you will never feel fulfilled.

Yes, well, that's the charm of the ancient languages. They are no longer spoken and therefore are studied by only some people. I don't know why I chose it. I guess it was because I couldn't study Old English. I am happy, though. Latin gives me pleasure. And it certainly helps with a lot of other languages. All of them have some of their vocabulary based on the Latin roots, so if nothing, you have the advantage over other students.