Linguaholic

Does the accent you have make a significant impact in understanding Spanish?

A0130

It does make a significant impact especially since accent differ depending on the Spanish country. For example people speaking Spanish in Spain have a completely different accent from people in Mexico. Most Spanish speakers can neutralize their Spanish just like English speakers. Since Spanish is spoke in so many countries its a good idea to familiarize yourself with the accents of different Spanish speaking countries.

What Alfonso said is accurate, there isn't a single Spanish accent any more than there is a single English accent.

You do want to practice enough to learn the rhythm of the language if you can without thinking of it as a specific accent, I think that makes a big difference.

That is the accents in the sense of where the emphasis of each word and sentence goes. For example you can always tell when an actor has learned Spanish phonetically for a role since the flow of their sentences is always weird and sometimes robotic.

It does make a significant impact especially since accent differ depending on the Spanish country. For example people speaking Spanish in Spain have a completely different accent from people in Mexico. Most Spanish speakers can neutralize their Spanish just like English speakers. Since Spanish is spoke in so many countries its a good idea to familiarize yourself with the accents of different Spanish speaking countries.

Yes, I agree.  There are regional differences based on country and also there are some socioeconomic and cultural differences as well within countries.  Accents and vocabulary will vary. 

Even as you are starting out, often times people are appreciative that you are making the effort to speak the language.  Some may be willing to help you out.  I found that to be the case, and I was helped immensely.

Something else that may help you improve is to record yourself -- audio and/or video -- speaking the language to gauge your progress and to see which vowels/consonants you need to work on to improve.