Linguaholic

Teaching Business English

Dora M

I wonder if there is anyone here who has experience with teaching business English. I have just finished my TBE course and am currently preparing myself for a career change. I would be interested to hear about your experiences and also grateful for any kind of TBE resources that you would like to share.

Study With Us on Discord for FREE!

I wonder if there is anyone here who has experience with teaching business English. I have just finished my TBE course and am currently preparing myself for a career change. I would be interested to hear about your experiences and also grateful for any kind of TBE resources that you would like to share.

I know some people who are teaching business English, although here people only teach that subject at university...Do you have an undergrad degree?

I personally haven't taught business English. But the Japanese company we once worked with had preference for Pearson's Market Leader Series. You can check out the books here --> http://www.market-leader.net/coursebook.html

I've seen most of the books in the series and I've to say, it's one of the greatest Business English books I've come across. The English is flawless and the samples are very relevant. I think each of the Market Leader books is very comprehensive, presenting different scenarios involving varied departments of a company (Marketing, Human Resources, Sales etc.)!

• 2 weeks later...

I once had to teach a class of business english, I was covering a colleague of mine, it was so easy because she had already her whole class planned so I just went thru... it was easy, but I don't think it is so easy when you are the one planning all those classes every single day.  But it's also hard to teach a class to people who are just starting out.. being an english teacher to me is just not worth it. Just my opinion tho... the pay wasn't good and the stress was huge.

• 3 weeks later...

I have taught Business English and still do. Apart from some vocab I may have to look up I find it easy to do as I am a business person, have studied business at uni and quite enjoy it actually. In most cases teaching Englis isn't well paid but in some circumstances it can be. We pay our teachers quite well for online teaching but it only works out well if they reside in a low cost of living country. I understand in Thailand and Korea pay is good.

I've tried teaching business in English a few times and the part where it gets a bit difficult is the jargon so though I've had a bit more of an easier time than most, probably since the people I was teaching already had a knowledge of the language to begin with so the technical terms were easy enough to explain. I'd say just start with the basics so you can build a good foundation for the more complex lessons.

• 3 weeks later...

Just out of curiosity. Have you made the plunge to a career change? Have you started teaching Business English as you planned? If you have, how did it go? Was it hard? What adjustments did you have in making the shift?

I have heard of people doing this in conjunction with their town hall and they do it for small businesses in the area. Try going to your town hall or even a local high school and see if they would be interested in your services. You can teach night school for adults.

• 5 months later...

I haven't tried teaching Business English yet, but I believe it is quite a popular career nowadays. We all know that the universal language is English, and one of the important factors for most entrepreneurs is effective communication. I know some people who are working as Business English teachers online. I have already heard of Bizmates before, it is a website that hires English instructors.

When I was at university, I temped at this vocational training centre as a part time lecturer. I worked for the Hotel Management department and dabbled in teaching Business English. It's different from plain old English obviously, a bit harder, but I just used some text books and did some research. It's definitely something I'd consider getting trained for as I have a solid foundation, with my degree in English.

• 1 month later...

What exactly is "Business English"?  Is this just another way of saying "formal English"?

Czarina, Business English is the kind of language people use for work: emails, presentations, negotiations etc. In fact, it's, well, good old English :) but the focus is on words like "targets", "suppliers", "manufacture", "budgets", "retail", "HR department" etc.

Normal English coursebooks cover a wider array of topics, while Business English books concentrate only on what may be useful for you while you work in the office/do business with foreign partners/go on business trips and so on.

Czarina, Business English is the kind of language people use for work: emails, presentations, negotiations etc. In fact, it's, well, good old English :) but the focus is on words like "targets", "suppliers", "manufacture", "budgets", "retail", "HR department" etc.

Normal English coursebooks cover a wider array of topics, while Business English books concentrate only on what may be useful for you while you work in the office/do business with foreign partners/go on business trips and so on.

Ok.  Thank you.  I wonder if they do that for other languages or if it's only English. 

Ok.  Thank you.  I wonder if they do that for other languages or if it's only English. 

They for sure do, I've seen course books in Business French, Business German and even Business Russian around here.