Linguaholic

What do you think is the world's most difficult language to learn?

Saholy

I realize that this is a matter of opinion. Someone who speaks fluent Chinese for example will choose a different language from a person who speaks English fluently. But I think it would be fun to know what everyone thinks and why. So what do you think is the world's hardest language to learn?

Study With Us on Discord for FREE!

Right now it would be Dutch for me. I swear this language is driving me crazy!!!!!!!!  The word order is so confusing, most of the time I get confused with ''Het is'' and ''is het''! Jesus!  Sometimes I do type things in the right order, but when that happens I think it's more of a coincidence than actual skill.  i feel bot frustrated and angry at the moment, not knowing if I'll be able to pass the exam :(  I'm nervous!

As you mentioned, everyone will have different opinions. For me, i'd have to say Japanese. This is because from just looking at the writing I get nervous. It just seem like art work and on which i'd have problems catching on to.

I would say Chinese because there are like thousands of variations and I find it a little hard to get my mouth to make some of those sounds.  I like the sound of it though.  I listen to music and watch dramas in Chinese, so I know a few words.

For me, anything that has symbols in it like Chinese, Japanese, Thai, Arabic, Russian, etc. those are the languages that won't appeal to me. It's hard enough to know and study a language in plain ABC, but when it comes to those languages, you have to memorize the symbol's meaning too and you have to learn how to draw them correctly. I think that is out of my league already.

I have never tried to learn any of these languages, and my opinion is based purely on supposition. I think older languages like Hebrew and Arabic are likely to be among the most difficult. I also think I would really struggle with German and Scandinavian languages. My step dad is Danish and tried to teach me a few phrases when I was younger, I just couldn't hack it!