Linguaholic

Foreign languages superseding level of native language

FlagOnce

Native languages can be heard since years from you, you may end up to a pretty good, but also creepy situation: you know better how to write/speak in a foreign language than in your native one. This may be more likely if you moved out of your native language's country to go to another country with the foreign language you learnt.

How do you overcome the situation? Up to that point, do you prefer to improve once again your foreign language, or you will go back to better learning the native language? Is that a problematic situation?

Study With Us on Discord for FREE!

This has yet happen to me, and I use English on a daily basis.  But then again, I live in a Spanish speaking country right now, I hear Spanish everyday!  So maybe this is why my English is on par with my Spanish.  I am a bit afraid that when I move abroad I will start  forgetting Spanish more and more D:

Whatever language we use on daily basis will make us more accustomed to use it even if it is not our native language. Sometimes we become more fluent with the foreign language and may have to refresh our knowledge on the use of our own native tongue. Funny but that is happening and sometimes people will combine two languages out of convenience.

• 4 weeks later...

I am dealing with this right now. The thought of being unable to speak in your native language is rather terrifying - it's the language I grew up on and I thought I would always be perfect at it, but that's not the case. Whenever I meet other people from my country and they talk to me, I would ask them if they could talk in English instead. This usually results in my being outcasted from groups, as the reason why they reach out to other people from their country (especially in foreign countries) is so they could communicate with ease.

In my case, it's even worse because I am in no way adept in English - sure, I get the basics and all, but I still struggle sometimes, especially with the grammar. This, however, means that there is no language I'm completely fluent on, and that is another terrifying thought.

My only suggestion would be to try to communicate in your native language at least an hour a day. Find local forums, and post there. It doesn't seem like much, but it helps you maintain your fluency in the language - or get better at it, if yours have deteriorated really badly.

I don't find that this applies to me at all. I lived in England for 13 years, and while over there I didn't have people from my country with whom to speak my language. But I spoke it when I called home and when I came home on holidays. I never felt like my own language was being compromised because of this at all. I guess it really depends on the individual, and actually if I dare say, I think some people have been known to conveniently 'forget' their language. Even those who were out of the country for just a few years. Maybe it's not happened to me because I grew up speaking both my language and English. IDK I just find the whole thing weird.

This has yet happen to me, and I use English on a daily basis.  But then again, I live in a Spanish speaking country right now, I hear Spanish everyday!  So maybe this is why my English is on par with my Spanish.  I am a bit afraid that when I move abroad I will start  forgetting Spanish more and more D:

If you hear Spanish (which is your native language) everyday, obviously, you are in a good shape for keeping your native language around, because as long as you need it I guess you will keep it around. You may miss the newest expressions if you fail to communicate enough with people, but that wouldn't go further, as long as you maintain everyday communication in your native language. However, I don't specifically recommend keeping the native language.

I am dealing with this right now. The thought of being unable to speak in your native language is rather terrifying - it's the language I grew up on and I thought I would always be perfect at it, but that's not the case. Whenever I meet other people from my country and they talk to me, I would ask them if they could talk in English instead. This usually results in my being outcasted from groups, as the reason why they reach out to other people from their country (especially in foreign countries) is so they could communicate with ease.

In my case, it's even worse because I am in no way adept in English - sure, I get the basics and all, but I still struggle sometimes, especially with the grammar. This, however, means that there is no language I'm completely fluent on, and that is another terrifying thought.

My only suggestion would be to try to communicate in your native language at least an hour a day. Find local forums, and post there. It doesn't seem like much, but it helps you maintain your fluency in the language - or get better at it, if yours have deteriorated really badly.

I don't see why it is much terrifying and why we should try and strive to keep our native language? If our native language is no longer, just let it go, and if you ever need it again, you will get it again, more quickly than if it were not your native language, that's all. Don't feel afraid and fixed. As long as you can communicate everyday with the people you want to talk with, the rest doesn't matter.

If you hear Spanish (which is your native language) everyday, obviously, you are in a good shape for keeping your native language around, because as long as you need it I guess you will keep it around. You may miss the newest expressions if you fail to communicate enough with people, but that wouldn't go further, as long as you maintain everyday communication in your native language. However, I don't specifically recommend keeping the native language.

I'm moving to the Netherlands soon, so this might change soon ;)  I will not be hearing Spanish at all, only when I call home... but once my mom dies I won't have any kind of connection with my country. No reasons at all to visit the country either, so I am a bit afraid I might lose my proficiency level, but I hope not!  I'll try to find people who speak Spanish in my own city and keep on practicing it.

I'm moving to the Netherlands soon, so this might change soon ;)  I will not be hearing Spanish at all, only when I call home... but once my mom dies I won't have any kind of connection with my country. No reasons at all to visit the country either, so I am a bit afraid I might lose my proficiency level, but I hope not!  I'll try to find people who speak Spanish in my own city and keep on practicing it.

In all honesty @Trellum, chances of you forgetting your language are nil. I don't mean to pry, but I take it you're past your pre-teen age? If you are, believe me, your language is well embedded in your brain, and even if you don't speak it with fellow Spanish people in Holland, It's very highly unlikely to disappear. Equally, it's not possible that at the age you are, your proficiency in a language that you learn now as an adult is ever going to supersede your Spanish. It's a bit like riding the bicycle; it doesn't matter how long you don't ride, the minute you get back in that saddle, you know exactly what to do!

In all honesty @Trellum, chances of you forgetting your language are nil. I don't mean to pry, but I take it you're past your pre-teen age? If you are, believe me, your language is well embedded in your brain, and even if you don't speak it with fellow Spanish people in Holland, It's very highly unlikely to disappear. Equally, it's not possible that at the age you are, your proficiency in a language that you learn now as an adult is ever going to supersede your Spanish. It's a bit like riding the bicycle; it doesn't matter how long you don't ride, the minute you get back in that saddle, you know exactly what to do!

I must say I don't agree with you. You can easily forget something if you don't practice it for years. Sure, you will recovery, and when you will get back into the country with your old native language, yes, it is probable you will fully remember all the words you need over few weeks or months. But even somethings you may practice everyday may become suddenly forgotten and you can become middle-to-not-so-good level even if you was really good at it. It depends after all of how much time you won't hear the language in question.

Me, I think about 10-to-20 years cuts, I'm not thinking about bare 2 or 3 years. Sure, if it's only that, you're safe. But you forget also the trends and the new words that come in because of technology, that you would miss after a disconnection to your mother tongue.

I don't see why it is so terrifying and why we should try and strive to keep our native language? If our native language is no longer, just let it go, and if you ever need it again, you will get it again, more quickly than if it were not your native language, that's all. Don't feel afraid and fixed. As long as you can communicate everyday with the people you want to talk with, the rest doesn't matter.

Edited by lushlala

I don't see why it is much terrifying and why we should try and strive to keep our native language? If our native language is no longer, just let it go, and if you ever need it again, you will get it again, more quickly than if it were not your native language, that's all. Don't feel afraid and fixed. As long as you can communicate everyday with the people you want to talk with, the rest doesn't matter.

I disagree completely with you! But of course, that's not to say you're wrong to hold the stance that you do. I just think that a lot of people, including myself take pride in their heritage, including their language because it's part of who they are. I would like to pass my language onto my kids one day, to keep my language and culture alive, because I don't think many people want their language to one day become extinct. Plus nowadays, language skills really count for something across the globe. Prospective employers are very impressed to hear that you're multi lingual.  Spanish is one of the biggest and widely spoken languages across the globe. Language skills often open very unique and well paying opportunities. Quite why anyone would want to forget how to speak it, while most people are now paying to learn it, boggles my mind! But that's just me.

This has been happening more in my country. Many kids are raised learning English. The result? Their native language is foreign to them. I suppose it's not a big problem when they go to the US. But many kids are struggling with their Filipino subject because they are simply not raised learning it. And Filipino or Tagalog is a difficult subject to learn all at once. Especially if you do not know its basics. So how can they pass their subject if they're struggling with it? I also think that as a Filipino, we need to master our own language. Since we are Filipinos first and foremost!

There just has to be a balance. Teach the kid to be bilingual. Do not make him forget his own language! It is for his own sake and his country's sake! I still teach my son Tagalog but sometimes I still read him English books. The important thing is that you balance things out.

Yup had this problem before the first time I left my home country for long time. Took me months to get back in shape.

The thing for me is I did not mind. In fact it was quite fun to realize you can forget your native tongue! Luckily for me though I do not work in my native language and thus I have no real need for it. So I really don't care.

The second time I left my country for long time what really helped me to keep up my native skills (more or less) was emails to my family + occasional conversation with people who were studying my language in the country I was in. Easier said than done depending on your situation (what's your native language, do you know anybody who studies it, etc...). But this has worked well for me. Upon my second return I had no problems with using my native tongue again. Though it was pointed out to me that I have a foreign accent now - which means I have no accent in every language I speak lol.

Good luck to you guys

Richard

It has never became a problem to me. I am not a native speaker of English, but I always practice the English language due to my work, actually almost everyday. On the other hand, I often use my mother tongue to communicate with my friends and family. Well, as long as you do practice both the foreign language and your first language, it's not going to be difficult for you.  

I must say I don't agree with you. You can easily forget something if you don't practice it for years. Sure, you will recovery, and when you will get back into the country with your old native language, yes, it is probable you will fully remember all the words you need over few weeks or months. But even somethings you may practice everyday may become suddenly forgotten and you can become middle-to-not-so-good level even if you was really good at it. It depends after all of how much time you won't hear the language in question.

Me, I think about 10-to-20 years cuts, I'm not thinking about bare 2 or 3 years. Sure, if it's only that, you're safe. But you forget also the trends and the new words that come in because of technology, that you would miss after a disconnection to your mother tongue.

Then we'll just have to agree to disagree @FlagOnce! I still maintain it's just not possible. My dad (Danish) first came to Botswana when he was 21 and he's in his mid-60s now, yet he still speaks Danish fluently! We're not a Danish speaking household or country, so he doesn't speak the language often. ....and he's not the only one! Where I come from (Botswana, an English speaking country), we have quite a few Scandinavians who've been here for years, and they have never forgotten their respective languages. I also lived in England for 13 years, where I very rarely spoke my own language, and I never forgot it. So I'm not convinced at all. Let's just agree to disagree :)

I don't see why it is so terrifying and why we should try and strive to keep our native language? If our native language is no longer, just let it go, and if you ever need it again, you will get it again, more quickly than if it were not your native language, that's all. Don't feel afraid and fixed. As long as you can communicate everyday with the people you want to talk with, the rest doesn't matter.

Hehe this is such a weird post! I can't remember writing this, and it just doesn't make any sense to me at all. Maybe this is a case of me forgetting how to speak English, a language I've spoken virtually ALL MY LIFE LOL A serious, weird case of amnesia.

• 3 weeks later...

Native languages can be heard since years from you, you may end up to a pretty good, but also creepy situation: you know better how to write/speak in a foreign language than in your native one. This may be more likely if you moved out of your native language's country to go to another country with the foreign language you learnt.

How do you overcome the situation? Up to that point, do you prefer to improve once again your foreign language, or you will go back to better learning the native language? Is that a problematic situation?

I believe that in the real world there is an underlying connection between necessity and choice. If the native language is quintessential for commercial/economic (job) purposes, then one would pursue learning that language. This argument assumes that the choice of selecting a language to improve on (native vs foreign) is based on economic intentions of the individual. Let me exemplify this by using examples of some economies:

France: A French native speaks better English than French. If she continues to stay in France, chances are that she will work on improving her French since it is needed at her job.

China: A Chinese native speaks better English than Mandarin. If she continues to stay in China, chances are that she will work on improving her Chinese since it is needed at her job.

India (Post-colonial market): An Indian native speaks better English than Hindi. If she continues to stay in India, chances are that she will work on improving her English since it is needed at her job.

Hong Kong (Post-colonial market): A Hong Kong native speaks better English than Cantonese. If she continues to stay in Hong Kong, chances are that she will work on improving her English since it is needed at her job.

That being said, if in an individual's case, there is no connection between economic intention and language, the individual must choose to improve her language ability in: 1) The language they wish to improve on 2) The people she intends to communicate with.

This has been happening more in my country. Many kids are raised learning English. The result? Their native language is foreign to them. I suppose it's not a big problem when they go to the US. But many kids are struggling with their Filipino subject because they are simply not raised learning it. And Filipino or Tagalog is a difficult subject to learn all at once. Especially if you do not know its basics. So how can they pass their subject if they're struggling with it? I also think that as a Filipino, we need to master our own language. Since we are Filipinos first and foremost!

There just has to be a balance. Teach the kid to be bilingual. Do not make him forget his own language! It is for his own sake and his country's sake! I still teach my son Tagalog but sometimes I still read him English books. The important thing is that you balance things out.

You should more find out if they find it is a problem for them or not, rather than thinking about anything cultural or I don't know. If they're interested to know the Filipino culture, they would go ahead, learn the language and the culture as well. Same if they want Filipino friends. But, if, when they was born, you wasn't living there, I do find it's normal you didn't strive to make them learn Filipino language. If you were, however, it's a bit weird but not a problem if they can communicate with the whole family.

Yup had this problem before the first time I left my home country for long time. Took me months to get back in shape.

The thing for me is I did not mind. In fact it was quite fun to realize you can forget your native tongue! Luckily for me though I do not work in my native language and thus I have no real need for it. So I really don't care.

The second time I left my country for long time what really helped me to keep up my native skills (more or less) was emails to my family + occasional conversation with people who were studying my language in the country I was in. Easier said than done depending on your situation (what's your native language, do you know anybody who studies it, etc...). But this has worked well for me. Upon my second return I had no problems with using my native tongue again. Though it was pointed out to me that I have a foreign accent now - which means I have no accent in every language I speak lol.

Good luck to you guys

Richard

That's the point I say here: you don't forget something you use, and if your whole family use it, I am against forgetting the native language, hey, family matters. But having the foreign superseding the native one wouldn't be a problem.

It has never became a problem to me. I am not a native speaker of English, but I always practice the English language due to my work, actually almost everyday. On the other hand, I often use my mother tongue to communicate with my friends and family. Well, as long as you do practice both the foreign language and your first language, it's not going to be difficult for you.  

That's nice for you and happy you succeeded in English! It brings hope to everyone I'm sure :)

Hehe this is such a weird post! I can't remember writing this, and it just doesn't make any sense to me at all. Maybe this is a case of me forgetting how to speak English, a language I've spoken virtually ALL MY LIFE LOL A serious, weird case of amnesia.

You didn't wrote this. I did, and you quoted me but without the quote tag. That's my sentence. Look just above.

You didn't wrote this. I did, and you quoted me but without the quote tag. That's my sentence. Look just above.

I did notice that because I was thinking, that's definitely NOT how I write or even think. It was just weird, but trust me, It wasn't my doing. Something funky happened here and I even wrote in to admin, because I certainly didn't do it. Anyway, it's not such big of a deal, these things happen!