Linguaholic

I need help with translating a few Chinese sentences to English.

Good day, everyone! My sister asked me to translate a few Chinese sentences/phrases into English. Apparently, a couple of people on Facebook, all of whom she doesn't know, started commenting on one of her posts. We've tried google translate already, but none of it makes any sense. Here are the characters for your reference:

我都5知你地讲咩

轉台!!!!

笑了

我們都在講英文

呀爺你今日番唔番補習社.

英國老鼠

老啦..唔去啦.

These are just teenagers we're talking about, just in case it matters.

Study With Us on Discord for FREE!

What did her post include? Maybe a picture or a video? I could help you with the translations but I need to know a little bit more about the context.

Anyway, I can already tell you about the meaning of some of those:

我們都在講英文  = We are all speaking English (now)

英國老鼠  = English Rat/Mous  (Rat/Mouse from England)

笑了  = laughed ( I had to laugh.)

Because of the character 唔 I reckon those people commenting are either from HK or from Taiwan, is that possible? I don't think Mainlanders would use it (at least not in this kind of context).

轉台 literally stands for 'Turntable'. Without context it is impossible to tell you what was meant here.

regards

Lingua

What did her post include? Maybe a picture or a video? I could help you with the translations but I need to know a little bit more about the context.

Anyway, I can already tell you about the meaning of some of those:

我們都在講英文  = We are all speaking English (now)

英國老鼠  = English Rat/Mous  (Rat/Mouse from England)

笑了  = laughed ( I had to laugh.)

Because of the character 唔 I reckon those people commenting are either from HK or from Taiwan, is that possible? I don't think Mainlanders would use it (at least not in this kind of context).

轉台 literally stands for 'Turntable'. Without context it is impossible to tell you what was meant here.

regards

Lingua

Wow, thank you for your prompt response! The original post ("Happy birthday Andrew!") was a birthday greeting to a Chinese friend she met during her student exchange program in Hong Kong. The commenters were all friends of the guy. I know this might not seem like such a big deal but my teenage sister's just being too antsy about it...and she keeps on bugging me!

Thank you again for your help! :)

you are welcome :=)

Oh, the 英國老鼠  must be a reference to her birthday then. As you probably know, rat/mouse is one of the Chinese Zodiacs. So if she was born in one of the years Years of the Rat:1912, 1924, 1936, 1948, 1960, 1972, 1984, 1996, 2008, 2020 she might be a rat/mouse in Chinese Zodiac. However, you would have to tell me the exact Date of Birth to make sure she really is a mouse in Chinese Zodiac.

I will add some comments for the other lines as well soon :=)

regards

L

Hi there

Is there any info you have about this text?

It looks like it is a manual for some kind of machine / working process. I could possibly translate it. However, it would be great to have some more info about the text ;)

kind regards

Lingua

my update on the first translation request:

老啦..唔去啦.

老 literally means old. 啦 is a final particle and it can be used for emphasize. Probably the person said this to make a joke (like saying oh, you are really old now).

唔去啦. 

This basically means I go and then the last character is the same as before (for emphasis). I am not sure what is meant here.....maybe this is some kind of slang that I am not aware of.

I know all of the characters in the first line, but I really don't know what the meaning of 我都5知你地讲咩 is supposed to be. pretty hard to tell without more context.

• 2 weeks later...