Linguaholic

Which tense was the hardest for you to learn?

sayitwell

• 2 weeks later...

I think like in other Romance languages the subjunctive tense is the hardest in French. At least for me it is.

I feel like I understand when to use it but it can be difficult to get it right. I have heard that this tense is on the decline in the spoken language, like the simple past, but I am not sure if that is true or not.

• 1 month later...

I've struggled so much with the tenses. I was good with conjugation but knowing when to use it was another thing. For example, I knew passe compose and imparfait very well. But I didn't always know when to use one of the other. I also struggled with the conditional tense.

Are you mentioning the tenses in the English language or other languages. For English, I have no problem with the tenses because I have learned the rules and have acknowledged the use of tenses. In my native language, which is Chinese, there aren't tenses involved because it is based on the characters written by strokes. I think tenses in English language is quite straightforward once you know the rules and tricks.