Linguaholic

Profanity and Learning English

asiong123

Totally,how else could you ever dare to say you have mastered the language?  If you haven't learnt enough slang to be able to curse, then you cant say you have mastered the language or that you are really fluent in it.  Let's face it, profanity is a big part of most languages, its a big chunk of what we know as ''slang'' so learning it is of vital importance.

So yeah, in order to master a language you truly need to learn as much slang words and terms as possible, or else you will be leaving big voids! People needs to learn that and surely will one way or another, unless they stop using the language at all.

Study With Us on Discord for FREE!

I think it's also important to know so you don't accidentally insult somebody yourself. If you know the swear words, you know where to look out for mispronunciation. And it'll explain why people are so angry if you do some something wrong. :P

I totally agree with you!  I think this will be the case for me in Dutch!  I really hope I don't end up insulting someone by mistake, because my pronunciation just sucks and well, you know your own language well ;)  I don't know any dutch swear word yet, but there is a huge chance I might end up insulting someone b mistake if I don't learn how certain swear words are pronounced, hehehe.

I will make sure that once I learn the basic in dutch i get a list of the most common and popular swear words, as well as witty insults :P

• 2 weeks later...

I think it's necessary just for the use of knowing when someone is cursing at you, but overall I don't think it's entirely necessary to learn as you could convey or express your thoughts just as well without them. I think it might be odd to only learn about the proper structure without learning a more modern or conversational way to speak, though.

Yes I think that it is necessary to learn even the bad words so that we can avoid using them. Sometime back I knew someone very cunning who would tell people the wrong meaning of words. They would laugh out loud when their victims used those words trying to impress others. Knowledge is power no matter the subject.