Linguaholic

Learning Swedish via my new house mate

rossonomous

So I am now sharing a rented place with a few people and one of these includes a Swedish girl. Her native language is of course Swedish, but she speaks fluent English to a high standard. A few weeks ago I asked her if she would start to teach me some basic Swedish and she happily obliged. I am now following this up with some online lessons while getting her to explain different scenarios and word placement to me.

I am also going to Sweden with her and a couple more friends in November, so I am really excited to try and put some of what I learn into good use.

How have you guys come to the point of wanting to learn new languages? Through school? From a holiday experience? Friends that speak other languages?

It would be interesting know how the choices come about with other people.

That's so nice!  It must be so exciting!  Because you will be going to Sweden so soon, and this will be the ultimate swedish test!  So you better hurry ;)  It's so nice of her to have accepted to teach you some swedish.  Actually my boyfriend is my personal teacher; he's the one who is teaching me some dutch.  I'm trying really hard to learn it because we might move to the Netherlands soon (we'd like to get married).

That's my main  motivation.  To be honest I'm not a big fan of the dutch language, I'd prefer to be learning swedish instead of dutch :P  I find it WAY easier to learn... dutch is a lot like german, but it's more like a horribly misspelled version of it!  A lot words sound like german, but when you have to write them... oh my!! 

That's so nice!  It must be so exciting!  Because you will be going to Sweden so soon, and this will be the ultimate swedish test!  So you better hurry ;)  It's so nice of her to have accepted to teach you some swedish.  Actually my boyfriend is my personal teacher; he's the one who is teaching me some dutch.  I'm trying really hard to learn it because we might move to the Netherlands soon (we'd like to get married).

That's my main  motivation.  To be honest I'm not a big fan of the dutch language, I'd prefer to be learning swedish instead of dutch :P  I find it WAY easier to learn... dutch is a lot like german, but it's more like a horribly misspelled version of it!  A lot words sound like german, but when you have to write them... oh my!!

It is really exciting and as you say it will be the ultimate test. I would love to be able to go out there and pick up on random words and sentences when I hear people talking. I'm going to be trying really hard, so it will be an interesting experience.

I'm also not a great fan of Dutch, I think it just sounds a bit ugly ha!

So I am now sharing a rented place with a few people and one of these includes a Swedish girl. Her native language is of course Swedish, but she speaks fluent English to a high standard. A few weeks ago I asked her if she would start to teach me some basic Swedish and she happily obliged. I am now following this up with some online lessons while getting her to explain different scenarios and word placement to me.

I am also going to Sweden with her and a couple more friends in November, so I am really excited to try and put some of what I learn into good use.

How have you guys come to the point of wanting to learn new languages? Through school? From a holiday experience? Friends that speak other languages?

It would be interesting know how the choices come about with other people.

I have a Swedish friend (A girl) and I could listen to her speak English all day, its a treat. She spent a little time with me here in Liverpool for a few days and taught me just a few words and phrases... mostly forgotten now. however, the one that has always starued with me is 'Puss och Kram' which means 'kiss and a hug' ...

I don't really get to use it anywhere, but who cares :-)

I have a Swedish friend (A girl) and I could listen to her speak English all day, its a treat. She spent a little time with me here in Liverpool for a few days and taught me just a few words and phrases... mostly forgotten now. however, the one that has always starued with me is 'Puss och Kram' which means 'kiss and a hug' ...

I don't really get to use it anywhere, but who cares :-)

I know right! They sound brilliant. And I know that I will rarely get to use the language, but it should be fun to see what I can learn before going on holiday there!

• 2 months later...