Linguaholic

I want to learn more about ancient languages

MattCohan

Hey everyone. My name is Matt and I am a 23-year-old language buff who is eager to learn more about the ancient languages that once roamed the earth.

I have done some digging and discovered many languages that have pre-dated us by many years, but the one language that I am fascinated to dig deeper on is the language of the Sumerians.

If anyone has ANY information on this language or other ancient languages, please leave a comment below. I would appreciate it a lot!

SUMERIAN LANGUAGE

Image result for Mesopotamia language

That's truly fascinating! Sumerian is not just extinct, it seems to have left no traces to any other living language.

So I guess your best shot is to familiarize yourself with works of linguists like John Hayes Or Marie-Louise Thomsen who did studied the language. It won't be the most exciting reading but you'll get a good overview of the structure and the history of the language.

Plus, there is a ton of external links, research papers, books and even Sumerian dictionaries in Wikipedia: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sumerian_language?wprov=sfla1

I hope you'll find it useful!

On 8/16/2018 at 11:07 PM, MattCohan said:

Well, Sumerian is the oldest recorded civilisation that we know of, and that being said, the language itself it fascinating. I would like to know a lot more about how detailed the language was and how it was used

How much do you know about this?

Best

Matt

Hey Matt. I might be of some help with good resources to tackle Sumerian but I never studied it myself. In fact, when I studied Linguistics at University, Sumerian has always been a topic of interest. So that is where I mainly know it from.