Linguaholic

Easiest way to build your vocabulary fast?

Denis Hard

I am currently learning Spanish but much as I'm still trying to grasp the basics, I understand that to communicate effectively, one must have some command of commonly used words and their synonyms so in case you're abroad and someone uses a word you're not familiar you won't have to flounder trying to make head or tail of what they are saying.

Care to share tips how one can build vocabulary in any language fast?

Study With Us on Discord for FREE!

The absolute best way to build vocabulary, I've found, is to spend a lot of time around people who speak the language you're learning. There is nothing that compares to this; if you spend a lot of time interacting with native Spanish speakers, you will get a real idea of which words are the most commonly used and, being in a situation where you're forced to learn so you can make heads and tails of the conversation, your vocabulary will improve very fast. I'm currently studying Japanese and I found that when I spent time in Japan, my vocabulary imprved ten times faster than it does when I'm studying by myself.

So yes, my advice is to try and find opportunities to converse with native Spanish-speakers, and try not to be embarrased if at first you have a hard time understanding what they're saying. With constant exposure to the language, you'll be amazed by how quickly you improve.

The easiest and best way to build vocabulary fast, in my own experience, is to read books, articles, or newspapers in the language in which you're learning. I have found reading is very effective because that's where I have built my vocabulary from. That's how I look for new words by reading books, articles, or newspapers.

I would say do not be afraid to get out there with spanish speakers and engage them in conversation. One nice tip i may have for you is to try and spend time with kids who speak the language. Kids are really good at teaching and will help you to understand the language without really judging you.

Immersion in the language to the extent that you're able to do so on a daily basis is very important.  As others have recommended -- and I agree --  interacting with native speakers is very helpful.  When you are not in such contact, do what you can on your own to spend as much time as is practical to immerse yourself.  Listening to Spanish language radio or TV -- even having the sound in the background -- is helpful.

In all of these circumstances, look up unfamiliar words you encounter and keep track of them -- actually write them down or input them on computer or mobile device.  Yes, even if you're out somewhere or you're conversing with native speakers; they will understand!  By doing this you're more directly engaging the brain and getting into the active mode to learn and retain words to be able to use them when you need them in speaking and writing. 

The way I built up English vocabulary (It's not my native language) is by simply picking up books that are of interest to me in English rather than in my native language and whenever there is a word I didn't know, I looked it up in an online dictionary. I found it very effective for learning vocabulary.

Other than that, I was chatting with people online on a daily basis. Unfortunately it's not as easy to find people to talk with when you're not living somewhere where the language you want to learn is widely spoken, which I suppose would be even better than chatting with people, but while that didn't help with pronunciation it sure did with vocabulary and spelling.