Linguaholic

Chineasy

I remember first stumbling across this site when it was just conceptualized and trying to appeal for interest. Though I'm a bit more advanced beyond what it teaches, it seems like it would be pretty helpful for beginners, and I'm fairly pleased with how well the concept has fleshed itself out.

Chineasy boasts about teaching the building blocks of the language, or the simple words and characters that can be found utilized in more complex characters and the like.  Each character is drawn into an image to help learners memorize the meaning.

If you'd like to check it out: http://chineasy.org/

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you for sharing this page polaroidsredwine.

I had a quick glance at it and I have to admit that this is a beautiful website. As you mentioned, the vocabulary explained and displayed is rather easy, but the whole concept is really worthwile and the design is excellent. I can see how those images could help you to remember the meaning of a certain character. It is most helpful for pictographic characters like 山 or 虎. It might be a little be more problematic for complex characters (for several reasons).

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, the complex characters would be a lot more difficult to address in there.  It's a nice concept for people who are just starting out though, and I think I would have loved this back when I was learning these characters.  I'm a fan of the building blocks method used there, and it's a very friendly and gentle introduction to the language.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, the complex characters would be a lot more difficult to address in there.  It's a nice concept for people who are just starting out though, and I think I would have loved this back when I was learning these characters.  I'm a fan of the building blocks method used there, and it's a very friendly and gentle introduction to the language.

Yes, I completely agree. The "design" of this approach is just amazing and it really makes you feel like: "aaaww, I want to learn those characters now!". I will definitely keep an eye on this homepage and see how it develops. I just discovered recently that their business has been "crowdfunded" and they collected more than 70'000 pounds for it! Amazing. It would be my dream to have a business like that!