Linguaholic

Is the ladino language dying?

Trellum

I really think the ladino language is dying... and that saddens me deeply.  In case you didn't know, the ladino language is a mix composed mostly by hebrew and spanish, but words in many languages are also used; depending on the location of the speaker.  So if we are talking about a speaker living in Turkey, then his ladino will have a lot turkish words! 

Sadly this language is no longer as used as it was before, most of the people who speak it live in Israel and are real minority!  Most of them are quite old, and some of them haven't been succesful passing this language down, mostly because the younger generations prefer to speak hebrew every where.  Some places are offering classes for people who are interested in learning it tho, but to be honest I prefer to use spanish. 

Study With Us on Discord for FREE!

I haven't heard anything about the Ladino language. I don't even know it does exist because that's almost an extinct language or something, isn't it? I don't think it's dying because I'm sure there are some people still speak it. Thank you for sharing!

It's actually dying, there are less and less speakers in Israel.  My grandmother could speak some, but mostly just bits taught by her mother.  So it's really dying, not extinct yet, but I guess in a couple of years it will be totally gone :(  I guess some languages are meant to die :((

Sadly, there are a lot of languages dying out these days. I never heard of Ladino. I take it it's a sort of pidgin?

If so, I'm not sure that qualifies it as a full language; but I could be mistaken.