Linguaholic

Practice: Ordering Food in French

SpringBreeze

Here's an easy game for learning how to order food in French.

Directions:

1. Write a French restaurant's name (fake or real) and whether you are there for breakfast, lunch, dinner, dessert, or snack.

2. Write everything you would order from drinks to desserts. Write in the way you would order it in real life.

For more practice, look up a real French menu and pretend you are ordering from there. Don't forget to be creative and have fun. Here's an example...

Le dîner à Le Petit Paris

Pour le hors d'oeuvres, je voudrais le Saumon Fume.

Je voudrais votre soupe de jour; et pour la salade: Coeur de Salade au Chevre et aux Noix.

Pour le plat principal, je vais prendre: Assiette de Legumes Grilles.

Non, je ne veux pas le dessert.

Une boisson? Oui... Un vin de table, s'il vous-plait.

• 3 weeks later...

Actually this little game could be used to learn food and restaurant vocabulary in just about any language! Just change the language and the menu and voila! It's an interesting idea.

• 5 weeks later...

Actually this little game could be used to learn food and restaurant vocabulary in just about any language! Just change the language and the menu and voila! It's an interesting idea.

Thanks BWL!!! :) When I was taking French classes in school, my teacher used to have us student play-act restaurant scenes. It used to be fun. And at the end of the semester or food lesson, we would bring in french foods and play-act some more while eating. That was the best part. :D

• 1 month later...

I always use vouloir when I'm ordering, because commander has a harsh connotation in English. Am I right in thinking that it doesn't sound particularly nice in French either? Or is it perfectly fine to say "Je commande le chat pour mon dîner." Well, I'm sure it's not perfectly fine to say that in any language, but you catch my drift.

• 5 months later...

I always use vouloir when I'm ordering, because commander has a harsh connotation in English. Am I right in thinking that it doesn't sound particularly nice in French either? Or is it perfectly fine to say "Je commande le chat pour mon dîner." Well, I'm sure it's not perfectly fine to say that in any language, but you catch my drift.

Hahaha, not sure France is the perfect country for giving that specific order a shot indeed! :D

Well actually to answer your question, another option you could look into - and which would allow you to use the verb "commander" in a very polite and acceptable way- would be to use this formula:

"Je souhaiterai commander le chat s'îl vous plaît." ("I wish to order" isn't uncommon in French)

No need to add "pour le diner" though, as if you enter a restaurant after 6pm, chances are they'll know what you're there for ;)

• 2 months later...