Linguaholic

Is poetry allowed to break grammar rules?

Of course! Poetry just wouldn't be the same if it had to be bound by grammar rules. Of course, the poem has to make some sort of sense but I think part of the beauty of poetry is that it doesn't follow conventional writing. And since grammar is something for conventional writing, poetry should be allowed to toss that to the side ;)

I think it is fine to break some rules of grammar to convey your idea better. It is called poetic license and some authors do like to abuse this license :D.

I found a gem on a website while searching for examples. Here it is,

Three Ghostesses  by Anonymous

Three little ghostesses,

Sitting on postesses,

Eating buttered toastesses,

Greasing their fistesses,

Up to their wristesses,

Oh, what beastesses

To make such feastesses!

To me, poetry is art. Art comes from within the soul. The soul is who the person is intrinsically, as a result of their culture, lifestyle and very own personality.

So, yes, I think that poetry is allowed, "in my book", to break the rules in order to remain true to the one who wrote it. :-)

e. e. cummings didn't follow grammatical rules and he became a very popular poet.  I think poems are more artistic than they are literature, so I wanna say that style and grammar shouldn't matter if you can get your point across in an artistic way.