Linguaholic

Learning Braille.

Daimashin

Study With Us on Discord for FREE!

I think it would be a good skill to pick up, yes. I'm sure there are a lot of people out there who have learned sign language just for enrichment purposes, so I don't see why the same can't be applied for braille. Furthermore, it can even lead to future job prospects as I'm sure that being a non-blind person who knows braille would be a welcome credit to any school for the blind.

There are far less blind people nowadays than there were in the past.  In the last year I only saw one blind person in the street, it seems this was more common in the past (according to my mother).  With that in mind... I'd not focus all my effort in something I'll probably never use. That's just me tho :)  If you ant to know how blind people ''read'' and ''see'' with their eyes, then I recommend you to read a book on it instead :)

I hardly meet any blind people actually. I was just curious if Braille can be useful in some part of our life. Who knows, anything can happen and it doesn't hurt to be prepared. :D

It seems like you're anticipating to be blind in the future?  :laugh: Anyway, I guess it won't hurt to have the added knowledge, but as for me, I don't really think that I would want to spend my time learning about something that I would not be able to use.

It seems like you're anticipating to be blind in the future?  :laugh: Anyway, I guess it won't hurt to have the added knowledge, but as for me, I don't really think that I would want to spend my time learning about something that I would not be able to use.

Who knows, maybe some bad thing happens and I might be blind so it's better to be ready  :tongue: Or someday I may have to face a blind person so knowing it can be useful. I don't know, I guess if I have the time I'll look into it and see (no pun intended) if it's hard to learn.

There is probably a niche of non-blind people who know Braille that do work in translations and such. After all, it's quite necessary for that niche to exist. I would say it's practical in the field of translations and publications for the blind. I don't know about learning it for learning's sake though. It's a language for the disabled, which has a lot of different applications than other languages.

I think it would be fascinating to learn Braille, it would be an different look and way of learning a new language.  just because you don't see as many blind people on the street doesn't mean that there aren't as many.  In the Fall I am planning on enrolling in a course to become a deaf interpreter; its a good skill to have and there is a demand for interpreters.  I'm really looking forward to going back to school for the first time in many, many years to learn something new!